Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Thursday, April 3, 2014

Mt. Shuksan with Kevin - February 6, 2012


It all started with a rare sunny forecast in early February.  A high pressure system was moving into Washington and great weather and stable snow was on the horizon.  These were the perfect conditions for a grand adventure, and all I needed was a partner in crime. 

I emailed my friend Kevin, who I met while working at Marmot Mountain Works, to see if he was interested in getting out.  His response was a resounding yes!  Now, all we needed was a plan. Since I’m never short of ideas and Kevin is new to Washington, I offered to give it some thought and run a couple possibilities past my friend Jerry, who always has solid recommendations. 

Kevin and I wound up setting our sights on Eldorado Peak in the North Cascades.  The North Cascades are one of my favorite parts of Washington, and I was excited to show them off to Kevin.  I knew it would be love at first sight!  Maps were obtained, the route description was scanned, and crevasse rescue skills were practiced.  We were ready!    

After a full day at Marmot on Saturday, I met Kevin at the Canyon Park P&R in Bothell just before 7 PM.  We loaded my gear into Kevin’s Pathfinder and made a beeline for Chuckwagon Diner in Everett, recommended by one of Kevin’s coworkers.  Our first order of business was ½ pound burgers, fries, and a chocolate peanut butter milkshake.  Delicious.  The real adventure could now begin.

We left Chuckwagon bound for the notorious Cascade River Road, off Highway 20 in Marblemount.  The Eldorado Trailhead is about 20 miles up Cascade River Road.  I had checked road conditions on the North Cascades National Park website earlier in the week and was confident we’d be able to drive all the way to the trailhead.  Wrong!  We ran into snow almost immediately after turning off Highway 20.  We were able to make it about 6 miles up the road before Kevin deemed it impassable.  We were lucky to be able to turn around.   

After making it back to Highway 20 and apologizing profusely to Kevin who took everything in stride, we considered our options.  Although we didn’t have any other route beta or maps, we were nowhere close to giving up.  After a brief discussion, we made the decision to head for the Sulphide Glacier on Mt. Shuksan.  I had been on Shuksan a couple Februarys ago with Joe and Kyle when there hadn’t been enough snow to skin from the car, so I was optimistic we’d be able to make it to the trailhead.  While Kevin drove, I jotted down the route description for the Sulphide Glacier from summitpost.com and got us pumped up with the Beach Boys.  It was probably about midnight, and Plan B was officially on.  It was Shuksan or bust! 

Shuksan is also located off Highway 20, west of the turn-off for Cascade River Road, so it should have been a fairly quick jaunt to our new objective.  However, I somehow confused the trailheads for Mt. Baker and Mt. Shuksan and thought we needed to drive all the way back to I5 and up to Bellingham.  Wrong again!  As we were pulling into Bellingham and Kevin was asking where to exit, I realized my mistake.  We had driven well over an hour past the turn for Shuksan, and it was after 1 AM.  Our ski adventure was turning into a crazy drive around the state of Washington in the middle of the night.  Once more, I resorted to apologizing profusely, and again, Kevin took the whole debacle in stride. 

We pulled off I5 in Bellingham to turn around, and I took the wheel so Kevin could have a break.  To keep me awake, Kevin started giving me a rundown on Mormon history.  As informative as he was, our conversation seems almost dreamlike now.  I can only recall a few sound bites about early times in New York, some guy named Joe, and a department store in Utah.  We will definitely have to revisit this subject later. 

We finally made it back to Highway 20 and headed through the towns of Burlington and Sedro-Woolley.  I knew there was a ranger station in Sedro-Woolley where Shuksan climbers were supposed to register.  Of course, finding the ranger station at 2 AM proved challenging even though it is right beside the highway.  I would have been tempted to blow off the check-in, but I wasn’t sure how much farther we needed to drive on Highway 20 before the Shuksan turn-off, and I was hoping there would be a map posted outside the building.  After a little backtracking through the deserted streets of Sedro-Woolley, we found the ranger station.  We signed in, and fortunately, there was a map outside indicating that we had 16 miles of driving before Baker Lake Road, the turn-off for Shuksan.   We were making progress! 

Back on the road, we crossed our fingers we’d be able to drive all the way to the trailhead.  Regardless, the plan was to get as far as we could and start skinning.  We cruised the 16 miles to Baker Lake Road and another 23 to Shannon Creek Campground.  From Shannon Creek Campground, we were supposed to turn off Baker Lake Road and drive Forest Service Road 1152 to the trailhead.  Needless to say, Road 1152 was completely snowed in.  We were forced to park 6 miles from the trailhead for a climb that is a big day under normal circumstances. 

We briefly contemplated taking short naps in the car but quickly decided naps would eliminate any chance of a summit attempt.  We changed into our ski clothes, organized our gear, and ate our breakfasts of Honeynut Cheerios with blueberries, bananas, and the creamiest 2% milk I’ve ever tasted.  We started skinning from the car at 3:45.

It was a beautiful night, and we made good time skinning up the road in the moonlight.  There were many down trees which we had to climb over, so our skis were off and on quite a few times.  Although we were pretty efficient with the transitions, we knew we’d be cursing the trees on the return.  About 2 miles from the trailhead, we stumbled upon a red Ford Focus buried under snow in the middle of the road.  It had apparently become stuck during the big January storm.  It was an eerie site in our tired states of mind, and we felt sorry for the poor souls who had been forced to abandon their car in the snow. 

We reached the trailhead a little over two hours after we left the car and each enjoyed a donut as the sky began to brighten.  It felt good to get to the trailhead, and I could hardly wait for the sun to come up.  During the skin along the road, I had broken the trip down into mini-goals, and reaching the trailhead was goal one.  My next goal was Shannon Ridge, where we would get our first view of Baker.   

After leaving the trailhead, we followed a logging road that meandered across a number of streams.  The streams were quite annoying to negotiate, and we wound up removing our skis at times and crossing our fingers that snow bridges would hold at others.  Initially, I was a bit worried that the trail was going to be difficult to follow, and we talked about the fact that we were venturing out without a map.  However, the trail soon became straightforward, and our concerns were alleviated.  Furthermore, the weather was perfect, and I was confident I remembered the entire route beyond Shannon Ridge. 

We were both feeling the effects of no sleep at this point, and we skinned along the trail in a tired stupor. The spectacular peaks around us were starting to get morning sun and they hinted at what was to come, but it was hard to stay motivated slogging through the trees.  I kept reminding myself to keep my eye on the prize, as my mom would say.  I knew the prize would be fantastic if we were willing to work for it.   

We finally reached the end of the trail and started skinning more steeply uphill through virgin forest toward Shannon Ridge.  At some point, we stopped for a much needed trail mix boost, and I polished off a second donut.  After our break, it wasn’t long before we were on Shannon Ridge.  I was happy!  While we gained the ridge in a spot that was fairly treed and our views of Baker were obstructed, I knew the route was only going to get better.  Before heading to the right along the ridge, we memorized our elevation so we would know where to cut down on the descent.   

The skinning along Shannon Ridge was mellow, and we were able to catch glimpses of Baker off to our left.  Eventually, the ridge opened up, and we were rewarded with terrific views of Baker.  We could also see a notch above an open slope in front of us.  This notch was my next objective.  We switch-backed up the open slope, admiring the avalanche activity that had occurred following our last storm cycle.  We could see massive crowns on many slopes in the area, and we skinned directly past a deep fracture that hadn’t slid.   

Once we reached the notch, we took a break and I ate my first peanut butter and nutella sandwich of the day.  I knew the notch was the point where we would either commit to the ascent or bail.  From the notch, we needed to make a slightly exposed traverse, staying just below a cliff band.  The traverse isn’t nearly as steep as it appears, but it looks intimidating from the notch and there are cliffs below.  I recalled disliking it on my trip two years earlier.   

While the sun was warm and it was tempting to take naps, Kevin and I weren’t ready to throw in the towel.  The summit push was on!  I donned my ice axe, and we knocked out the traverse without any trouble.  The snow was soft, and it was much easier than I remembered.  Goal four?  Done.       

Beyond the traverse, the slope widened to the base of the Sulphide Glacier.  The views to the south were priceless.  We could see row after row of snowy mountains, all the way to Mt. Rainier.  The skinning was easy at this point, and though Shuksan’s summit pyramid wasn’t visible yet, I knew we’d see it soon.   

Just below the ridge I had previously camped on (my next objective), I stopped so that Kevin and I could regroup.  The Sulphide Glacier is a moderate glacier, and we expected it to be very filled in given the time of year.  Roping up is definitely optional in February.  However, Kevin and I were carrying all our glacier gear and we had practiced crevasse rescue in preparation for the Eldorado trip, so we played it super safe and tied in.  Not to mention the fact that I always find roped glacier travel a lot of fun!    

As we continued skinning up the glacier, the scenery got better and better.  The route eventually steepened and then flattened out, and the summit pyramid came into view.  Shuksan’s summit pyramid is truly stunning.  It is also super intimidating, and it was less filled in with snow than on my last trip.  To the south and west, we could see the Olympic Mountains, Puget Sound, and the San Juan Islands.  To our surprise, we could also see three skiers just below the summit pyramid.   

By now, it was growing late in the afternoon, and we knew our chances of summiting were dwindling.  However, it was motivating to see the climbers ahead!  As much as I love remote climbs where I’m all alone, it’s sometimes reassuring to know I’m not the only crazy fool out there.  We were also curious to find out which route they had ascended, as we knew they hadn’t been on the Sulphide.     

We kicked it into high gear, eager to reach the base of the pyramid.  The route flattened some more, passing through a gigantic field which was my last goal before the pyramid.  I remembered leaving Kyle there basking in the sun while Joe and I continued on.  Kevin and I could see two of the people ahead of us ascending the pyramid while the third waited at the bottom.  After a bit more climbing, we finally reached the base of the pyramid.  It was probably about 4:30, nearly 13 hours after leaving the car. 

I ate my third peanut butter and nutella sandwich of the day as we chatted with our new friend who was waiting nearby for his partners.  They had come up the White Salmon Glacier.  Kevin and I also discussed our plan.  We were still feeling strong, but we were running out of daylight.  Getting up the pyramid would have been doable, but we knew descending it in the dark would be dicey.  After some deliberation, we made the prudent call to start heading down. 

It was disappointing to turn around so close to the summit, especially after pushing against the odds all day.  We were also in nearly the same location Joe and I had been in when we bailed to rejoin Kyle two years before.  Defeat twice in the same place is extra frustrating.   However, I know we made the right call given the time of day.  Any weekend on Shuksan is a gift, and I’m already looking forward to trying it again.        

Decision made, we packed up the rope, de-skinned, and pointed ‘em down, just as alpenglow was hitting the surrounding peaks.  Without a doubt, it was the most dazzling alpenglow I have ever seen.  Words or pictures could never do it justice.  The skiing, on the other hand, left a lot to be desired.  The breakable crust was never ending.  Turning became virtually impossible, especially given the fatigued states of our legs.  We side-slipped down thousands of feet of vert in the dark.  It was survival skiing at its finest.  My objectives became quite simple: Ski to Kevin.  Repeat.    

We finally reached the traverse where the snow was still extremely crusty.  Rather than making a slight downward cut and then booting up to the notch like Joe, Kyle, and I had done in softer conditions, Kevin and I elected to follow our skin track which traversed just below the cliff band.  Once again, I donned my ice axe, and off we went.  The traverse wasn’t difficult, but it was still a relief to get to the notch.    

Down the other side and back on Shannon Ridge, we took a short break and boosted morale with candy bars and Kevin’s last peanut butter and nutella sandwich which he generously shared.  Spirits lifted, we began the slog down Shannon Ridge.  The ridge is a little up and down so it was tedious without our skins, and of course, any pockets of decent snow were on the uphill sections.  Eventually, I took off my skis and started hiking.  While I was still having fun, I was fed up with the death crust.  I found post-holing less frustrating but more strenuous, so I went back to my skis as soon as the snow started to soften. 

We started cutting down to the logging road once we reached 3,920 feet, the elevation we had noted earlier in the day.  We knew we were close to our skin track, but we had lost sight of it descending through the trees.  We probably would have intersected the trail without following our track, but we were a little concerned about being too far left or right and overshooting it.  We were not in the mood to wind up in the drainage below the trail.  After a making some long traverses back and forth, Kevin stumbled upon our up-track in a clearing. 

Skin track found, it was a short ski down to the trail and an uneventful ski to the trailhead.  The creek crossings were wearisome, but we were grateful to be on the homestretch.  Back at the trailhead, we polished off the last of our rations and hit the road for the 6 mile trek back to the car.  We’d been worried that the grade might not be steep enough to ski, but fortunately, we were able to glide the first several miles nearly effortlessly in the moonlight.   

As expected, the last few miles of the road drug.  We were forced to remove our skis numerous times to climb over the down trees, and we had to walk the snow-free sections of road which we had gingerly skinned in the morning.  Nevertheless, our spirits remained high.  We were pretty loopy from exhaustion, and everything seemed quite funny.  I remember laughing a lot.   

At exactly midnight, we reached Kevin’s car at Baker Lake Road.  It was a relief to be back!  We were totally spent.  We drank some orange juice leftover from the morning and changed clothes.  We were both moving extremely slowly, and everything took a lot of thought.  The simple task of changing clothes easily took 20 minutes or more. 

By the time we were ready to go, it was close to 1 AM and neither of us had slept a wink since Saturday morning.  However, in spite of our fatigue, we wanted to put a few miles between ourselves and the mighty Shuksan.  I offered to drive, hoping to get us to Jack in the Box in Burlington, my traditional late night North Cascades exit diner.  Needless to say, I made it about 15 miles before I realized I was driving 20 mph in a 50 zone.  I pulled off and traded places with Kevin, and before I knew it, we were at Jack in the Box.    

After refueling on burgers and fries, we made the only reasonable decision to catch a couple hours of sleep in the back of Kevin’s car before driving the 75 miles to Seattle.  We quickly rearranged our gear and crawled into our sleeping bags at 2:45.  It felt amazing.   

Although I neglected to set an alarm, Kevin and I both woke up at 5.  Feeling renewed, we hit the road and made it back to the Canyon Park P&R without any problems.  From the p&r, I rushed home via Highway 520, paying my first toll to avoid being late for work.  I walked into my apartment at 6:50, took a five minute rinse off shower, and was on my way to Bellevue by 7 for a PACCAR/Marmot double shot.   

The rest of my week was filled with blissful memories of Shuksan.   I longed to be back up there.  It was a wonderful journey, and I truly loved every moment.  Kevin and I are an excellent team, and I wouldn’t have changed a thing about our trip.  I look forward to sharing many more adventures together! 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment