Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Monday, April 30, 2012

Day 0 - 4/25/12 - Greetings From San Diego

I made it to San Diego, and all is well! After a tasty waffle breakfast made by my friend Robert and a stress-free ride to the airport courtesy of Mandie, I knew my day was off to a great start.  Sensing luck was on my side, I decided to try my hand with the TSA at SeaTac and made it through security with a knife, trekking poles, and tent stakes.  YAY!  I was pretty proud of myself and stoked I avoided paying $20.00 to check my pack.

Once I landed in San Diego, I only had to wait about 15 minutes for Frodo, who picked me up as well as two other hikers who arrived at almost the same time.  I knew I was in the right place when Kathleen, a girl from Portland, walked up and gave me a huge hug.  I guess you just know a thru-hiker when you see one, and I immediately felt at home.

The rest of the afternoon and evening was spent relaxing.  I walked to the grocery store and picked up a Gatorade for tomorrow and a bottled water which I drank.  I then refilled the bottle with some denatured alcohol that Scout and Frodo had on hand for our stoves.  I headed to Jim and Jan's house where I'm actually staying tonight.  Jim and Jan live just a few blocks from Scout and Frodo and are also hosting thru-hikers.  Between the two houses, there are probably about 40 of us.  It's pretty awesome! We enjoyed a spaghetti dinner, and it's been fun getting to know people.  I've already made new friends.

Tomorrow the plan is to rise early, eat breakfast at Scout and Frodo's house, and then head for the border a little before 6:00 AM.  I'm excited to finally start hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment