Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Heading Toward Crunch Time

I wanted to give everyone a quick update!

I ran the Yakima River Canyon Marathon on March 31st and had a fantastic race.  It was my fastest marathon yet.  Thanks for all the positive vibes!  Now I’m looking forward to joining my mom next April for her first Boston Marathon.  We’ll be a tough duo, and Boston will be a great motivator to get back into running shape after the PCT. 

I gave notice at work last week.  I had been anxious about jumping this hurdle but have been completely overwhelmed by support from my colleagues.  Someone recently asked me what I was most scared about regarding the PCT.  I think they expected me to respond with a comment about the physical toll or mental challenge.  It only took me a second of thought to admit that I was most scared about quitting my job.  I will have been at PACCAR for five years to the day when I leave, and they have been some of the best years of my life.  I became the person I am today during these years, and working at PACCAR gave me the time and mental space to pursue my passions.  I also met many wonderful people who I will miss.  In some ways, leaving PACCAR feels like the end of an era.  However, I know that the door is open, and I may return to my career there in the future.

You’ve probably been wondering about my gear!  I sure have been!  My Gear List tab has finally been updated, and I’m looking at a base pack weight of about 17 pounds.  Base weight includes everything that will be carried on my back with the exception of food, water, and fuel.  I’d been hoping to get my base weight down to 15 pounds, but I’ve done as much elimination as I’m willing to do right now and will just send items home from the trail if I deem them unnecessary. 

Stay tuned for more updates…. Life is about to get a little crazy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment