Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day 151 - 9/23/12 - Born To Be Wild

Contents:  Stevens Pass - Grizzly Peak (14.0 miles)

Today was AWESOME!  We got the best hitch EVER from Skykomish up to Stevens Pass.  Two words sum it up:  Dodge Challenger!  Oh - and maybe 470 horsepower!  It was absolutely insane and so much fun.  Definitely my fastest trip ever between Skykomish and the pass.  Anyways, Ed pick up Amigo, Sunday, and me in front of the Sky Deli where we were hitching after hitting the breakfast buffet at the Cascadia Hotel in Skykomish (two really nice guys from Seattle, one of whom is a Triple Crowner, had given us a hitch from Baring to Skykomish).  Anyways, Ed insisted that I ride shotgun, so the boys piled in the back with the dog.  All we could do was hang on for dear life and sing along to the Beach Boys as we flew up to the pass.  When we got to the trail head, Ed got out of the car and spent some time with us chatting about our trip, his life, etc.  Really nice guy!  And now for the best part.....he invited me to take the car for a spin.  Sometimes it definitely pays to be a cute girl who can drive stick!  Anyways, Ed left Alice the dog with the boys who later said they'd wondered if they had just traded me for a dog and if they'd ever see me again!  Needless to say, I had a blast.  That car was unreal.  I hit 100 in third gear and felt like I was barely moving.  I got it up to about 120 before I got out of my comfort zone, but Ed was encouraging me to push it ever harder, and I'm sure the car could have handled it.  Add a little Beach Boys and Born to Be Wild, and I was in heaven.   I called my dad to tell him about it as soon as I got done.  He has a beautiful convertible roadster, and one of my favorite things to do at home is take it for a spin with him.  We always listen to oldies, and he always lets me drive.  It's a time I really look forward to.  Nevertheless, I've got to say neither his car nor my uncle's Corvette which I've also driven had anything on the Challenger!

We had a lazy day of hiking.  By the time we had coffee at the trail head with Ed and Amigo got a burger at the ski area, it must have been about 2 when we started walking.  Lots of familiar terrain today....we went past Lake Valhalla, around Lichtenberg, and Union Peaks, and then past Lake Janus and Jove Peak.  Lots of good ski memories from those places!

I'm camped on Grizzly Peak which is 14 miles from the pass with Amigo, Flappy, Action Pack, Sunday, Log, Virgo, and Huckleberry and Chow Down, two hikers I just met.  It's a cozy spot, but we're making it work.  I have a sore throat and really hope I'm not getting sick.  Great day though!

Hasta manana!

No comments:

Post a Comment