Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Day 157 - 9/29/12 - Running Outta Miles

Contents:  Hide Away Camp - Methow River (21.6 miles)

Well, we got woken up by sprinkles around 2:45 last night and had to pitch our shelters.  No complaints though!  I could be mistaken, but I think this was just the 5th time I've had to sleep in my tent due to rain.  We have been unbelievably fortunate regarding weather this summer.  There is no doubt this was the year to hike the PCT!

The walking today was good.  Lots of day hikers.  We crossed Highway 20 at Rainy Pass about 6 miles from camp this morning.  From there, we headed another 5-ish miles up to Cutthroat Pass where we ate lunch and celebrated the end of 25 miles of gradual climbing out of Stehekin.  The scenery was beautiful.....I was a bit disoriented though and wished for a USGS map so I could figure out what I was looking at.  The Halfmile maps have been truly fantastic and I would use them again in a heartbeat, but sometimes I do wish they included a little more of the surrounding areas.

From Cutthroat Pass, we did a long contour and then dropped steeply to Granite Pass.  The larches were changing colors and were spectacular.  After Granite Pass, we did more contouring followed by a gradual climb up to Methow Pass.  From Methow Pass, it was a long descent to camp.  I'm currently sitting by the fire with Amigo, Smiles, Shameless (birthday boy!), Sunday, and Flappy.  Mellow and Action Pack should be here anytime.  

More walking tomorrow and the border on Monday.  I can't believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment