Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day 154 - 9/26/12 - Less Than 100 Miles to Go and Smellin' Stehekin Cinnamon Rolls!

Contents:  First Flat Spot Camp - Cedar Camp (Approx. 27 miles)

Today, we schooled the PCT!  It was a great day, and we finally made some decent miles.  We also managed to shave off 4.8 miles of PCT by following the route that was used between 2003 and 2011 when the Suiattle River Bridge was out.  A new bridge was finished late last summer but the route to the bridge adds 4.8 miles along the river.  I'm guessing it was built farther down stream in order to reduce the chances of further wash outs.  Anyways, we did a simple log crossing and had no trouble finding our way back to the PCT on the other side.  Great success!

This morning, Flappy and I started talking about running the Jerusalem Marathon in March 2013.  We want to plan a trip to visit Amigo.  The three of us have formed a really tight group over the last few weeks.  It is going to be sooo hard to say goodbye to these guys, especially Amgio.

The three of us are currently camped about 10 miles from the Stehekin bus stop.  Our plan is to get out of camp by 5:30 in order to catch the 9:00 bus that stops at the Stehekin Bakery before continuing on to the rest of town.  Stehekin will be our final stop.  We are less than 100 miles from the border tonight.

I'm going to keep the journal going through the end of the trip, but my entries might be short over the next few days.  I want to spend every last moment I can with my trail family.  The end of the journey is going to be bittersweet to the truest meaning of the word.  I can't believe what we have accomplished out here.  It has been amazing, and I have loved nearly every moment of this long, strange adventure.  The PCT is the only home I know right now, and I am 100% comfortable on it any time day or night.  Seattle seems foreign.  Anyways, I know memories of the next few days will be crystal clear, and I will write a more detailed entry when I get to Seattle if I don't take the time to document everything now.  

If all goes as expected, I should arriving in Manning Park on the 1st or 2nd.  I'm planning to head to Vancouver for one last harrah with my trail family before making my way back to Seattle.  At this point, I think I'll be home on the 4th.

Off to bed....still fighting this darn cold!  Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment