Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Day 156 - 9/28/12 - Coasting Uphill

Contents:  Stehekin - Hide Away Camp (13.6 miles)

The final push is on.  We rolled out of Stehekin today and are camped less than 70 miles from the border.  We had a great morning in town.  Amigo, Sunday, and I yogied a ride to the bakery around 8:30 and the rest of our crew trickled in throughout the morning.  We all caught a bus back to trail around 11:30....I think there were a total of 19 thru-hikers on board.

These are epic times, and I wish I could capture the mood.  When the bus dropped us off at the trail, we hung out for a long time.  I don't think anyone wanted to leave and start chipping away at these last miles.  Once I finally started walking, things felt better but still different from normal.  It's hard not to think about the fact that in a week, I won't be stumbling north, pack on my back, lost in conversation with Mellow.  I know that I will remain friends with these people for the rest of my life, but I also know that our time together as a group in this capacity is running out.  It'll never be the same, but we'll always have the PCT.

Camp is lovely.  We're right by Bridge Creek.  Mellow just built a fire to prove to Amigo that Americans actually do know how to light fires.  Go Mellow!  Mellow, Amigo, Sunday, Smiles and I are the only folks here at the moment, but I expect others to cruise in shortly.  

Rainy Pass at Highway 20 tomorrow.  Have a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment