Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Monday, May 14, 2012

Day 12 - (5/07/12) - Oh, my achin' feet

Contents:  Mile 147 to Fobes Ranch Trail Junction (19.3 miles + 2 miles round trip for Paradise Valley Cafe)

The miles are starting to take their toll, and my feet hurt!  You know that throbbing, aching feeling you get in your feet during the last few miles before the car after a super long day in the mountains?  I'm thinking along the lines of a 15 hour alpine climbing adventure.  Well, that's the wonderful sensation I have pretty much all the time right now....While my legs feel strong, I don't think my feet are able to recover enough during the night, so after about 30 minutes of walking, my feet feel like they've been on the go for hours and hours.  To make matters worse, I've developed many blisters between my toes, probably caused by friction from all the dirt.  I've never been a big fan of gaiters, but I'm thinking about picking up a pair of light weight Dirty Girls in Idyllwild to see if they help.  Enough whining....I know this will all get better soon and we're all going through it out here!  Life is still good!

Overall, it was a pleasant, albeit tough day.  My morning started out with a 5 mile stroll to the Paradise Valley Cafe where I enjoyed an omelet, homemade hash browns, and an English muffin.  It was definitely a treat to be at a real restaurant, and the food was great.

After leaving the cafe, we headed into the most rugged terrain we've encountered so far.  We are currently in the San Jacinto mountains, near Palm Springs.  The scenery today was beautiful, and I wish I had taken more pictures.  We spent a lot of time walking along a high ridge, overlooking the town of Palm Desert and the outskirts of Palm Springs, which I have fond memories of visiting as a child.

I'm tired and off to bed now. We have another big day with lots of climbing ahead tomorrow, but then we'll be in Idyllwild.  I'm planning to zero there on Wednesday and am really looking forward to a day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment