Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day 8 - (5/03/12) - Trail Magic!

Contents:  Third Gate to Warner Springs (18.8 miles)

Today was way more fun than yesterday!  I left camp just after 6.  As I was wondering around hunting for the trail, I stumbled into Bryce.  I couldn't believe it!  He had arrived at Third Gate well after dark the night before.  I was glad to see him!

I was definitely tired and moving pretty slow this morning.  Fortunately, the terrain was moderate and my pack felt much lighter than it had the day before when I had started with about 13 pounds of water.  However, I was quite hungry and my feet and legs were sore.  When Extra Credit caught up to me after leaving camp, she found me holed up in a nook besides the trail eating peanut better by the spoonful!  I downed all that I had left, probably about a 1/5 of a jar, and it was wonderful.  I think I was a pretty pathetic (and hilarious!) sight, but felt way better after the binge.  

Today was definitely defined by a lot of fantastic breaks.  Extra Credit and I were chilling around mile 98 when a bunch of other folks walked up, so we turned it into the Mile 100 pre-party.  Then there was the obligatory mile 100 party, followed by the after party at Barrel Spring (mile 101-ish).  

We were planning to take a long break and siesta at Barrel Spring but we weren't prepared for what we found when we arrived.....TRAIL MAGIC!!!! It was awesome.  Trail angels Princess, Bat Boy, Rifle Man, and China Doll were at the road, just a few hundred yards away with cold beer, Gatorade, fruit, salad, bagels, chili dogs, and candy.  The grill was already hot and they had brought a fire pit and plenty of chairs for us to lounge in.  It was totally revitalizing. Thank you, trail angels!

The 8 or 9 mile stumble into Warner Springs post trail magic was really pleasant.  I walked with Bryce.  We hiked across many open fields that were absolutely gorgeous.  It reminded me of Big Sky Country.  There were lots of cows next to and on the trail.  I felt like I was a character in Little House on the Prairie.  It was really amazing.....I don't think words can describe the experience properly. 

When we weren't hiking across the fields, we were usually walking through these cool little canyons with huge trees.  We could both totally imagine building a fort somewhere back there and hanging a swing from one of the trees.....It just seemed like that kind of place.

I almost forgot-we also hiked past Eagle Rock, this crazy rock formation that really does look like an eagle.  Many people including Extra Credit and Karl, are camped there tonight, but Bryce and I decided to push on to Warner Springs in hopes of arriving in time for a burger.  Unfortunately, we were too late, but we'll definitely get breakfast in the morning.

Warner Springs is a super tiny place.  There used to be a hot springs resort here that was huge with the thru-hikers but it closed at some point during the past year.  Thankfully, the community center is opening its doors to us, and we can eat and shower there tomorrow.  As for tonight, we're camped with a very lively and fun crew on the bank of a stream right outside of town.  It's been a great night.

Zero day tomorrow.....Can't wait!

**Check out Kristy's new photo album. (See Link to Photos.)  It has pictures from San Diego and Campo to Warner Springs.**

No comments:

Post a Comment