Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Sunday, May 27, 2012

Day 21 - (5/16/12) - Back At It

Contents:  Big Bear Lake to Little Bear Spring Trail Camp (19.9 miles)

We're back on the trail with full packs.  This is a 5.5 day leg.  We got up and made eggs and sweet potato fries for breakfast before the hostel gave us a ride to the trail head around 8:30.  It was nice not having to hitch.

The terrain today was super moderate.  We were mostly in the forest, and for one of the first times ever, I really enjoyed the trees.  I'm usually pretty antsy to break out into the open and find forest hiking a bit monotonous.  I think this comes from growing up in Alaska where most hikes start above treeline.  However, the woods suited me today and i found that the miles went quickly.  In some ways, it was refreshing not being able to see what was ahead all the time.

Tomorrow should be another moderate day.  We're actually going to run into a section of trail that is closed but there's a detour in place.  The trail is closed due to a rock slide and bridge damage.  However, we've heard that it is still passable.  Causing erosion is the biggest concern, I think.  There has been much debate as to whether or not to follow the detour.  The closed section of the trail passes some hot springs.  I don't have a strong preference either way and am going with the group decision.  I think we're leaning toward taking the detour.

I forgot to mention yesterday that I called BD about my damaged trekking pole.  They were somewhat helpful, but it didn't go quite as well as I would have liked.  BD is selling me a new style pole at wholesale.  Apparently, once a tip is lost, it's only a matter of time before the shock cord system fails.  The tip and shock cord are somehow connected.  This seems like a design flaw to me, as hikers break and lose tips all the time.  Anyways, since I'd lost the tip, it wasn't considered a warranty issue and wholesale was the best BD could offer me.  They are sending the new pole to some trail angels' house in Agua Dulce.  I'm going to give it another shot but will definitely switch to different type of pole if I have problems in the future.

Regarding water treatment, I've temporarily switched to using bleach.  My parents picked up a new Sawyer Squeeze for me in Anchorage and shipped it out last night.  I'll pick it up in Agua Dulce as well.  I mailed my broken one home from Big Bear Lake and I think they're going to take it back to REI for me once they receive it.

Hasta manana!

No comments:

Post a Comment