Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Monday, May 28, 2012

Day 24 (5/19/12) - I-15 to Cajon Pass

Contents:  Silverwood Lake Recreation Area to Camp Above San Andreas Fault (Ocean-side!) - Approx. 19.5 miles

Today was a pretty good day.  It was cold this morning and we all had trouble getting out of our bags.  I think we hit the trail a little before 7.  Our goal was to knock out the 13.6 miles to I-15 and Cajon Pass by lunch time.

The hiking went well.  I walked primarily with Nips and Wildflower.  We also ran into a friendly family out for their first day hike.  Just before Cajon Pass, we hiked along a stretch of the historic Route 66 which ran from Chicago to LA.  

At Cajon Pass, I made the traditional McDonalds stop.  Many hikers were there, and we all hung out on the McDonalds lawn for hours.  I also made a harrowing journey to the other side of the interstate to pick up the new pair of running shoes my mom had sent.  Thanks to the Browns and my grandparents for the great notes as well.  They made my day!

Nugget is having shin splint issues on his right side.  The pain just started a couple days ago but its already pretty severe.  Rather than continuing on from Cajon Pass, he decided to spend the night there and will probably zero tomorrow.  It's definitely the right decision, but we're missing him a lot.

I found it hard to say goodbye to him.....I felt like we kept an eye out for each other and had a very loose sort of partnership going on.  We often walked together after dinner before camping.  Anyways, I'm crossing my fingers that he feels better and manages to catch up with us soon.

No news from Extra Credit, but I'm hoping that means she's back on the trail.  I'm definitely a little injury-paranoid right now and am doing calf raises, ankle ABCs, heel walking, etc., to increase my strength.  My right knee can be a slacker, so I'm doing as much as I can to strength my right shin and ankle which are undoubtedly absorbing more than their fair shares of the impacts.

I'm camped just above the San Andreas Fault with Nips, Wildflower, and Histo.  We're in the middle of a dry stretch, and we each left Cajon Pass with 5-6 liters of water.  The good news is that our food weight is pretty low right now.  I think we're about 16 miles from water, and we're planning to get up early to knock it out before the heat of the day tomorrow.  We're heading up into the San Gabriel Mountains, so it might be a tough one!

No comments:

Post a Comment