Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day 6 - 5/01/12 - I'm Peels!

Contents:  Pioneer Mail Trailhead - Rodriguez Spur Truck Trail (15.9 miles)

Today was a special day.  I got my trail name!  But more about that later.....

The hike leaving Pioneer Mail was spectacular.  We had more great views of the Anza Borrego Desert but there was a little added exposure which made it seem more dramatic.  Nothing too serious though....we were still on a wide trail.  I took some pictures, but I don't think they'll capture the vastness of the scenery.  It was another gorgeous day, but very windy along this stretch.

As the day progressed, I headed into more rolling terrain and lost the expansive views.  I also lost the breeze for awhile, and it became quite hot.  There is very little shade out here.  Later, the breeze returned with a vengeance and knocked my hat right off my head.  Fortunately, I was able to retrieve it, but then managed to break the clasp in back while attempting to get it tight enough to stay on my pin head.  I was a bit annoyed by the malfunction as I definitely need a hat out here, but I was able to tie off the strap in back to keep it on my noggin, so I'm back in business.

I'm currently camped at Rodriguez Spur Truck Trail with Kayla and Bryce.  Extra Credit and Karl were here earlier but decided to put in a few miles after dinner.  

As for my trail name, Kayla and the gang decided I should be called Peels due to the unique habit I've developed of always eating the entire orange.  I think I've eaten an orange every day so far, and all the peels have gone down the hatch.  It's so much easier than packing them out!  The crew also cited my occasional tendency to "peel out" and hit the trail hard when the motivation strikes.  Anyways, I gave it some thought and decided the name was a keeper.  I just introduced myself as Peels for the first time.  It felt a bit strange, but I'm sure I'll be accustomed to it soon.

We have a long dry stretch ahead.  The next non-cache water source is 33 miles away.  There are caches at Scissors Crossing in just under 10 miles and at Third Gate in about 23 miles.  My current plan is to leave camp tomorrow fully hydrated and at full capacity (about 6 liters).  If possible, I'd like to push through without taking water from the caches.  I'm not up for a 33 mile day yet, so I'm going to have to dry camp tomorrow night.  With any luck, I'll put in about 20 miles tomorrow and then have a 13 mile push to the water the following morning.  From the water source, it'll be a short trek into Warner Springs for my resupply on Friday.  We'll see how it goes.  I guess there's a bit of purest in me, but I've never gone 33 miles without refilling water especially in the desert.  If things aren't going well, I'll definitely cut myself some slack and take water from the Third Gate Cache.

Wish me luck!

1 comment: