Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Sunday, May 27, 2012

Day 20 - (5/15/12) - Zero in Big Bear Lake

Contents:  0.00 miles

Today was an excellent town day, our best one yet.  Nugget, Extra Credit, and I went back to the diner for breakfast.  It was so good.  After breakfast, we returned to the hostel to reconvene with Histo who had hit a different diner that was a little farther away.

Later the four of us caught a bus for the mile and a half journey to the grocery.  Our goal was to walk as little as possible today.  Grocery shopping has become so much fun.  When else in my life will I return a delicious looking box of bear claw pastries to the shelf because they're less than 400 calories a pop?  Let me tell you - it is awesome!

I'm eating so much crap, but I rarely actually feel full.  BTW, I'm definitely starting to figure out the quantity of food I need.  I arrived in Big Bear after the 5 day stretch with a tuna packet in my bag, but I wasn't hungry.

Once shopping was taken care of, we had an eventful bus ride back to the hostel.  The driver on the inbound bus picking us up had some sort of altercation with one of the passengers about the A/C, and things got very heated.  Needless to say, we had to wait for the bus supervisor to come to address the situation.  In the meantime, both the driver and the offending passenger disappeared so we had to explain some of the situation to the supervisor who was furious at the driver for abandoning a bus full of passengers.  Lots of drama indeed!

Back at the hostel, we ate lunch and organized our food.  Extra Credit and I prepared an insane concoction for trail breakfasts.....It is a no-bake cookie glop containing peanut butter, oatmeal, butter, chocolate chips, walnuts, coconut, flour, and sugar.  It's going to be phenomenal......There were many envious hikers oogling our creation in the hostel kitchen.  I can't wait to get back on the trail to dive in.

After a relaxing afternoon of siestas and Hearts, a group of us made an epic lasagna dinner.  It was so great to cook together, and I have no doubt it was the best meal I'll eat this summer.  Tomorrow, we're back to the trail.  Unfortunately, Extra Credit's ankle is still really sore and I think she's going to take another zero.  We're all having a really hard time with the probable separation.  We're definitely a family out here and it's difficult to split up even if it's just for a few days.  Sometimes that's just the way it goes though.  Please keep her in our thoughts and prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment