Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Day 19 - (5/14/12) - Down in Big Bear Lake

Contents:  Mile 252 (camp near Onyx Summit) to Big Bear Lake - 13.3 miles

I'm in Big Bear Lake tonight with 10% of the trail behind me.  Although I am truly having the time of my life and am hoping for an endless summer, the trail is too much work not to celebrate progress!  We're currently directly east of LA.

The 13 mile hike this morning was quick.  The terrain was predominately flat or gradual downhill.  Histo and I made it to Highway 18 at about 12:30 and got a hitch into Big Bear Lake (maybe 10 miles from the trail?)  Within minutes, Extra Credit and Nugget arrived at the highway just as we were getting picked up and were able to get a ride quickly as well.  The four of us are sharing a room at the hostel in Big Bear Lake.  The hostel is great....I haven't stayed at one in a while and had almost forgotten how much fun they are.  There are many other hikers here as well.

After showering and starting laundry, we headed to the diner about a block away where I enjoyed a spinach salad and chocolate milk shake.  We then returned to the hostel for some relaxation and icy foot baths before deciding it was dinner time.  Dinner was fun - Nugget, Histo, Extra Credit, Nips, Wildflower, and I went out for Mexican.  We''re now back at the hostel winding down after some foosball and ping pong.  Sadly, I am champion of neither.  Histo and Nugget are currently serenading Extra Credit and me with a guitar found at the hostel.  It is wonderful.  Extra Credit and I are trying to figure out whether we can break the guitar in half and each carry part so that they can play for us every night.  Histo often gives us a bedtime story, and a lullaby would just top it off.  I feel so luck to have found these friends.

Resupplying and taking care of town chores tomorrow.  I think we're going to hit another diner for breakfast and then pick up ingredients to make lasagna for dinner.  Hoping to walk as little as possible!  Have a great night!


2 comments:

  1. Nugget says, "It was the best lasagna ever!". "Add wine and good company, one of the best nights yet".
    Miss y'all,
    Nugget

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are clicking away at the trail quite efficiently! 250 miles down - way to go!

    ReplyDelete