Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Saturday, May 12, 2012

Day 9 - (5/04/12) - Zero in Warner Springs

Contents:  0.0 miles

I am definitely going to love town stops.  Today was a much appreciated day of rest.  We all slept in and then wandered over to the community center for breakfast around 8:30.  I wore my dress, a very welcome change from my hiking outfit.  Breakfast was delicious - eggs and sausage from chicken and pigs raised by the local FFA as well as pancakes, all for just $5.00.  I seriously considered ordering two meals.  After breakfast I did some laundry using a hose and bucket out back.  Once laundry was done, I was able to catch a ride to the post office with some other hikers from a woman making a trip over there from the community center.  Then it was a short hitch back.  Picking up our packages was great.  We all agreed it felt like Christmas and tore into our boxes right there in the parking lot.  Thanks to my Mom for the awesome homemade scotcheroos.  I shared a few with my trail friends and they were a huge hit.

I spent most of the afternoon lounging in the grass outside the community center.  I was definitely a slacker with the sunscreen and got quite burnt.  Peels is definitely going to be peeling.  BTW, the name Peels is really working for me.  People love it, and I think I've even started a new orange peel trend on the trail.  Who would have thought?!

At 5:30, we were able to take showers at the school across the street.  While I've certainly gone longer without bathing in the past, I can say with total certainty that I have never been anywhere close to this dirty in my life.  It is impossible to stay clean in this desert environment.  I've been carrying baby wipes, but I don't think one would even make a dent on my pinky toe.  First and foremost, it is super dusty out here.  Add a little sunscreen and wind, and you have a recipe for grime.  Take away the water or make it so scarce you can't justify using it for bathing and you're approaching a state of filth.  Sit directly on the ground when taking breaks in order to give you feet the small but much deserved luxury of being propped up on your pack, and things pretty much spiral out of control.  This was definitely where I was at, but fortunately, I chose to fully embrace it.  Nevertheless, the shower was unbelievable, and I feel like a new person tonight.  I just ate tri tip steak for dinner at the community center.  I know I'm going to sleep well tonight.

Tomorrow, the plan is to cruise 17 or 18 miles up the trail, where there are rumors of a Cinco de Mayo party.  There's also talk of night hiking to take advantage of the full moon, but I have a feeling these conversations will be forgotten if the party comes to fruition.  Either way, it should be another good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment