Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Day 3 - (4/28/10) - First Nero

Contents:  Lake Morena County Park to Boulder Oaks Campground (5.8 miles)

Today was a chill day.  Hanging at the kick-off started to feel a little more like spring break than college orientation.  Life is definitely good.  I got up early and started slicing bagels a little after 6:00.  It went quickly and breakfast began at 7.  After breakfast, I headed back to camp for a nap and then another trip to the general store where I picked up strawberry milk, bananas, and more snacks.  The afternoon was spent wandering around camp and generally accomplishing as little as possible.

While breaking camp, my friend Kathleen, got her trail name - Extra Credit!  Kathleen is great - She's the girl I met at the San Diego airport.  As we were getting ready to leave, she suggested we all pick up five pieces of trash (the site wasn't too dirty, but there was a little litter from past campers).  Anyways Kathleen proudly announced she had picked up eight pieces, hence the name Extra Credit.  I think it's perfect!

Around 4:00 we participated in the PCT Class of 2012 group photo and then went to the BBQ.  After stuffing my face with a burger, potato salad, slaw, and brownie, I hit the trail with the Portland posse (Extra Credit, Kayla, Bryce, and Justin) and our friend Karl from the Bay area.  They are a super fun group, and we were so happy to be on the trail.  It felt like the real start to our journey, and the evening was spectacular.  It wasn't too hot and the light was perfect.  The terrain was also very gentle and the tread was soft and easy on the feet.  We hiked about 6 miles before stopping at a campground that is closed due to the Arroyo toad breeding season, but were told that PCT hikers were welcome.  Most of us (myself included) are cowboy camping tonight (no tent), as I'm sure will be the norm in the desert.  

Good luck to my friends in the Eugene Marathon tomorrow.  I'll be thinking about you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment