Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Monday, May 28, 2012

Day 23 (5/18/12) - Pinky Toe Gets a Window Seat

Contents:  Staging Area Before Highway 173 - PCT Detour - Silverwood Lake Recreation Area (approx. 22 miles)

Today was a great day!  We finished off the detour and found trail magic at the Highway 173/PCT junction where we rejoined the trail.  Shepherd was there with a grill, hot dogs, sodas, macaroni salad, and other treats.  Thanks Shepherd!

Several miles later, we stopped for lunch and siestas.  My left foot is in pretty good shape at the moment, but the pinky toe on my right foot is completely hammered.  It has been super painful the past couple of days.  During our break, I cut a huge chunk out of the side of my right shoe.  I'd been thinking about doing this for a while but was hesitant to take such a drastic measure.  However, the pain finally got severe enough that I felt I didn't have anything to lose.  Also, I'm planning to pick up a new pair of (identical) shoes tomorrow that my mom mailed to the Best Western at Cajon Pass, so I knew I wouldn't have to deal with it too long if the hole somehow made things worse.  Fortunately, cutting my shoe made a HUGE difference and my toe feels so much better.  It was singing and dancing all the way to dinner.  It really hangs over the edge of my shoe now....It was definitely trapped before.  Maybe I need bigger shoes?  I'm not sure....I'm worried bigger shoes would cause my heel to slip, creating a whole new set of problems.  Anyways, I'm so relieved it is feeling better now.  I'm definitely going to cut my new pair tomorrow.

Besides alleviating my foot pain, dinner was a big highlight of the day.  We stopped at a beach on a gigantic water reservoir.  It is refreshing to see so much water in the desert.  As soon as we arrived, "Team Straight Edge" immediately stripped down for our first skinny dipping of the summer.  We had a blast and the water felt amazing.  Dinner was really fun too, and I was definitely feeling pretty euphoric as I stumbled the last few miles to camp.

I'm now hunkered down for the night at a picnic area along the lake.  We'll hit I-15 and the famous Cajon Pass tomorrow (McDonalds, here I come!) and we should arrive in Wrightwood for our next resupply the following night or early the next morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment