Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Sunday, July 8, 2012

Day 58 - 6/22/12 - Muir Pass Slog

Contents:  Pine Cone Ditch - Evolution Lake (Approx. 18 miles)

Wash Out and I had another amazing day in the mountains and finally managed to catch up with Smiles and Tourist in camp this evening.  With the exception of the untouchable (in my eyes) North Cascades, the High Sierra are turning out to be as beautiful as any place I've ever visited.  Today we walked through alpine meadows below huge granite buttresses, and we passed many enticing tarns.  We stopped for an ice cold swim at a lake below Muir Pass which we hit late in the afternoon after a 10 miles climb and about 4,000 feet of elevation gain.  I thought Muir Pass (11,955 ft.) was probably the most spectacular pass we've crossed so far, perhaps due to all the water and more snow than usual on the surrounding peaks.  There was also a great hut at the pass. 

I've been trying to take a lot of pictures, but I've been having a few issues with my camera.  The flash has never worked, and now the lens won't open and close properly.  I think this problem is my fault, as I tried to put the camera back in its case before the lens was fully closed.  Argh!  On top of all this, I'm having trouble with the focus....not sure if this issue is related to the lens or not.  I might call my parents from my next stop at Vermilion Valley Resort (VVR) to see if they can send my old camera to Tuolumne Meadows.

Wash Out and I got some GORP from Ron, a friendly JMT hiker from Atlanta today.  Thanks Ron!  it was nice meeting you.  We proceeded to go on a GORP binge to the point where I felt quite ill.  I've gotta say.....I think I'm done with raisins and nuts.  My GI tract can't take any more.  I'm really low on food this stretch and can't wait to resupply.

Off to bed!  Hasta manana!

No comments:

Post a Comment