Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Monday, July 23, 2012

Day 79 - 7/13/12 - Chili Night

Contents:  Echo Lake/South Lake Tahoe - Phipps Creek (20.0 miles)

Today was a good day.  Cowboy hooked us up with rides to the trail head.  He dropped Mellow off at Highway 50 and then delivered Nugs, Fall Risk, and me to Echo Lake Resort where we got breakfast snacks and waited for Mellow to catch up.  He did a second trip later in the morning with Action Pack and Tourist who still had a few town chores to take care of.  Thanks, Cowboy!

The hiking went pretty well, but my feet were feeling it.  The new shoes are fairly stiff....I'm not sure what I think of them yet.  The gear shop only carried Oboz and one other brand which I wasn't familiar with, so I didn't have a lot of choices.  I went with a pair of Obozes.  I think they'll be better than the Cascadias. 

The terrain was fairly moderate today.  We started out hiking along Echo Lake where there were lots of day hikers.  We eventually made our way up to Aloha Lake which was really beautiful - huge with tons of islands, and surrounded by granite.  From Aloha Lake, we had a short climb up to Dicks Pass.  In the past 50 miles or so, we've been by Wet Meadow, The Nipple, Half Moon Lake, and Dicks Pass.  It's been kind of hilarious.  Naturally, these lovely landmarks have been the inspiration for countless crude comments.  (not that any extra inspiration is needed out here!)  The guys have decided that I have the mind of a 12 year old boy, because I laugh hysterically at pretty much all of their terrible jokes.  They love it!

Anyways, we're now stopped for the night at Phipps Creek.  Action Pack didn't make it in, but I'm guessing she's camped with Jackie Bean and Little Dipper who I passed just a few miles back.  We also picked up Russ who I met in San Diego but hadn't seen in a while.  He's back on the trail after taking a week off to spend time in Reno and Tuscon.

Nugs, Mellow, and I all made chili for dinner.  We all bought "Darn Good" chili mix at the grocery in SLT, and it was outstanding.  I've actually eaten this chili in the real world, but it tasted even better out here even without the tomato paste.  It takes a while to rehydrate, but I would definitely recommend it for camp food.  Add a little cheese?  'Da Bomb!

Off to bed!  Hasta manana!

No comments:

Post a Comment