Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Thursday, July 19, 2012

Day 70 - 7/04/12 - Happy 4th!

Contents:  0.0 miles

Today was a good day of relaxing outside the general store.  Imagine the laziest day you've ever had, and then make it 10 times lazier.  That's about what I'm dealing with here.....It is pretty magical.  Loitering outside grocery stores, gas stations, community centers, and other public places is definitely one of my favorite aspects of the PCT.  The people you meet are pretty interesting, and there's nothing like a day of undistracted hanging out with friends.  I love it!  I somehow need to incorporate this kind of leisure in my regular life.  It really is fulfilling.

Anyway, like I said, I spent the day chilling hard.  Lots of eating, Rummy and reading occurred.  I found a Carl Hiasson book in the hiker box at the store which occupied me for much of the day.  Later we enjoyed a BBQ dinner provided by another hiker's folks who are also staying at the campground.  Then a real fire and s'mores at our camp.

Another big hiker box find today:  A pair of Brooks Cascadias in my size!  They feel great, and I'm going to try them out on the next stretch to South Lake Tahoe.  I wound up talking with Itchy, the girl who left them, and they have about 500 miles on them.  Not a lot of life left, but they should get me through the next 150 miles, and they felt so good that I asked my Mom to order me a new pair to be sent to SLT.  I'll send those back if I wind up having problems in the meantime and go back to Addidases.  I'm excited to try out the Cascadias though!

Can't wait to get back on the trail tomorrow!  Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment