Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 82 - 7/16/12 - Windy Ridge Walking

Contents:  Donner Pass - Creek After Really Long Ridge (25.7 miles)

Today was a good day.  Scarlett was kind enough to give Tourist, Mellow, Nugs, and me a ride back to the trail head before work.  It was strange to be in a house with people doing their regular morning routines and getting ready for their jobs.....Definitely not bad, just different.  Trail life is another world!

Anyways, Action Pack decided to stay in Truckee for the day with her friends but the rest of us made it up to the trail a little before 7.  We ate a leisurely breakfast at the parking area and then started hiking.  Our first stop was a truck stop on the north side of I-80 which we hit 3 or 4 miles from the trail head.  Everyone but Nugs refilled water bottles and used the facilities.  Our next stop was the awesome Peter Grubb Hut about 7 miles in. This place was amazing.  It was situated in the middle of a huge bowl of epic ski lines.  It would be a fantastic place to visit in the winter.  Not a bad approach, either.

We did a lot of gradual up and down today but nothing too bad.  We eventually made our way to the top of a super long ridge which we followed for much of the day.  It was beautiful, but the winds were really high to the point where it was almost chilly at times.  Kind of felt like there was fall nip in the air today.  Also worth noting...we saw a dirt bike rider on the PCT today.....Not supposed to be there and he was tearing up the trail quite a bit. 

Tourist and I are camped about 16 downhill (hopefully easy!) miles out of Sierra City.  There we plan to resupply tomorrow.  Creep and Twisted who we met yesterday at the Donner Pass Ski Lodge are camped here as well.  Nugs and Mellow put in a few extra miles in hopes of an earlier arrival in town tomorrow.

Feet are continuing to feel better....I think I might stick with the Oboz shoes to avoid stressing my feet any more.  It'll have been close to 250 miles since I last wore the Adidases,  I think I might send them home and have my parents hold on to them for now.

Hasta manana!

P.S......I think I'll be rolling into Belden on Saturday, so I'm not sure I'll be able to mail out journal entries for a while.  Don't worry though....All is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment