Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Friday, July 6, 2012

Day 54 - 6/18/12 - Three Towns - One Day

Contents:  0.0 miles

Today was another great town day.  Wash Out and I slept in and then met Smiles and Sean for breakfast.  Smiles and Sean had caught an early bus from Independence to Bishop in order to hit the larger grocery stores.  After breakfast, Wash Out and I headed back to our room, and I went through the box of food I'd picked up yesterday.  Needless to say, I'm getting pretty tired of the food in my resupply boxes even though I've only received three.  I'm definitely preferring the buy as I go method.  While a diet of pop tarts and gummy worms didn't seem like a good idea when I was preparing my contents lists from the comfort of home, I'm definitely finding they are the way to go out here.  I'm still planning to do some food drops going forward, but I've asked my parents to hold off on sending a few so that I can do more shopping on my own.  I'm finding that hitching and getting around the towns is easier than I expected so grocery shopping is typically low stress.

Once I was organized and packed up, Wash Out and I wandered around town and hit up the Gear Exchange (sort of like Second Ascent in Seattle) and a coffee shop for drinks and pastries.  Around 1:15, we caught a bus to a town called Lone Pine with Smiles.  Sean was also with us, but he got off at the Independence stop in order to head back to the trail.  Smiles and I were planning to accompany Wash Out to Lone Pine where he needed to pick up his bounce box.  Tourist also hopped on the bus in Independence.  We had chatted as soon as he'd gotten off the trail this morning, and he wanted to join in on the Lone Pine fun.

I'm currently splitting a room in Lone Pine with Smiles, Wash Out, and Tourist.  The afternoon was spent on chores like mailing my totally unnecessary ice axe home and laundry.  I even washed my sleeping bag for the first time ever!  Smiles, Tourist, Wash Out and I hit up a pizza joint for dinner and then stopped by a supermarket for a few extra goodies.  We're now back at our hotel.  Sam and Hot Wing, two of Wash Out's buddies showed up this evening, and I think they're going out for drinks soon.  I may join in or just call it a night....haven't decided yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment