Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 81 - 7/15/12 - Donner Pass Diversion

Contents: Whiskey Creek - Donner Pass (16.0 miles)

Today was a better day.  My feet felt pretty good when I woke up.  This is excellent news as it tells me there's probably nothing wrong.  I think they're getting tired more quickly than usual due to the stress of changing shoes.  My right ankle is still a bit sore in a different place from normal but I think that's from lacing my shoes too high.  I've taken the laces out of the top eyelets and that seems to be helping.  In any event, all systems are go at the moment.

The hiking today was awesome.  I left camp early and quickly knocked out the climb up to Squaw Creek where Tourist, Nugs, and Mellow had spent the night.  Their camp was pretty sweet....right in the middle of Squaw Valley Ski Resort.  Mellow and Nugs were still in camp when I showed up a little before 8 and we hiked out together after filling up on water.  We had a potential (though not actual) 15.5 miles dry stretch ahead.

We followed a long ridge much of the way down to Donner Pass.  The views were awesome.  I also met a ton of really great day hikers including a group of ladies who gave me some grapes and a father and his two grown sons who were all around flattering and even complimented my new earrings.  Definitely the best $4.99 I ever spent at KMart!

Once I hit the highway, I made a beeline for the Donner Pass Ski Lodge.  I was starving.  Tourist was already there hanging out with his friends from Tahoe and the rest of the gang (including Action Pack!) rolled in shortly after I did.  We had a great afternoon hanging out and eating....The burger definitely hit the spot!

Both Tourist and Action Pack were planning to spend the night in Truckee.  Mellow, Nugs, and I had been planning to do more miles after lunch but were talked into hitting town for live music on the beach.  Hard to pass up that kind of opportunity!

We crammed four smelly hikers and one large dog in the back of Tourist's friend Scarlett's car for the wild ride down to town.  The music was great...It was in Tahoe City.  Post music we all went out for dinner and are now crashed on Scarlett's porch.  She's giving us a lift back to the trail first thing in the morning.

Definitely a great day....Off to bed!  More manana.

*I also got to take a look at the PCT register in the hut, and it looks like Smiles is only about 2 days ahead.  I'm definitely gaining on her!  With any luck, she'll zero in Sierra City and I'll catch her in our next town stop, Belden, about 92 miles north.  I miss that girl like crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment