Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day 74 - 7/08/12 - Sonora Pass Magic

Contents:  West Ford West Walker River Bridge - Sonora Pass (14.7 miles)

Today was awesome!  The scenery was absolutely gorgeous.  We were expecting a return to the desert but instead got some of the most beautiful scenery of the trip.  I haven't been to the Boat Rocks Wilderness yet, but today's terrain was similar to how I would picture it--very rocky, snowy, and lots of lakes.  I also saw my first skiers since starting my journal.  They were way off in the distance earning their July turns on what Tourist and I estimated to be a 600 feet shot.  There definitely isn't much snow now but we could tell there were a ton of great lines in the area.  So fun to dream of skiing for a bit!

We knew we would hit the highway at Sonora Pass today, and I floated the possibility of trail magic to the posse.  We all had doubts and I was definitely accused of jinxing us when I asked some day hikers if they'd noticed any unusual happenings at the trail head (they said no and appeared confused).  However, when we reached the pass, we found Pinky with the best trail magic EVER!!!!  Burgers, hot dogs, salad, fruit, pastries, drinks, you name it!  It seriously made my day and I'm now being thanked for willing it to occur.  We were planning to do a few more miles tonight but got lured in by the promise of eggs and bacon in the morning.  The miles can wait!

Mellow and Action Packed hitched into Northern Kennedy Meadows for a quick resupplly and are already back and camped here at the magic.  Huge thanks go to Action Packed who was able to call my parents and request that they overnight a new pair of Adidas Supernova Sequence shoes to South Lake Tahoe.  Thanks also to my parents for helping me out.  I can't deal with these Cascadias anymore - they make walking borderline miserable at times.  I definitely have a case of Desert foot - sore, tired feet all the time.

Off to bed - bigger miles tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment