Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day 73 - 7/07/12 - 1,000 Miles

Contents:  Lower Kerrick Canyon, Bear Valley Trail Junction - West Fork West Walker River Bridge (23.4 miles)

Today was a great day.....so much better than yesterday!  The PCT magic is back, and I am loving life!  My day started with an 800 foot climb.  I turned on some music and felt really strong.  After topping out at a shallow gap, I descended about 1,000 feet to Stubblefield Canyon Creek where I met Lightweight for the first time.  After the easy ford, the two of us walked a few miles together up to Macomb Ridge Pass where Tourist was taking a break.  We all hung out for a bit before dropping another 1000 feet from the pass.  From there, we knocked out a super gradual 10-ish mile ascent up to Dorothy Lake Pass with a fantastic swim/lunch to break things up.  

After Dorothy Lake Pass, we had a couple chill miles to PCT Mile 1000!  It was a huge milestone and I am so proud to have made it this far.  It has been an amazing journey, and I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

We had an awesome dinner celebration at Mile 1000.  Virgo, Wolverine, Lightweight, Sidhartha, Shake 'N Bake, Mellow, Nugs, and Action Packed, and I cranked out a few more easy miles before making camp.  We're currently about 15 miles from Sonora Pass where Mellow and Action Packed will be getting off to resupply.  The rest of us will press on toward South Lake Tahoe.

I am so happy to be here and am thankful to have made it 1,000 miles.  I did a lot of introspection today and came to the realization that hiking the PCT is one of the top 5 life altering decisions/events I have encountered in my 30 years.  I feel like there will always be a "before the PCT" and "after the PCT" division.  I was able to come up with only four other decisions or events that changed the course of my life so dramatically.  Here they are:

1.  Going out for cross-country running freshman year in high school.  My freshman season of cross-country set me on the path to becoming the athlete I am today.  I'd been really on the fence about whether to join the team and I'm so glad I did.  Special credit goes to the assistant coach, Mary Kempel who talked me into going out for the Nordic team as well.  The rest is history!  

2.  Moving to Seattle (and the Cascades!)

3.  ACL tear - This probably isn't a life-changing injury for most people but it had a huge impact on my life.  It made me less reliant on my car, altered my eating habits, changed my work out strategy, and so much more.  I can say with confidence that I wouldn't be on the PCT right now if it weren't for my ACL.

4.  Break-up with Joe.....After 5 great years together, it was sink or swim for Peels.  Thank you to all my amazing friends who helped me pick up the pieces and build an awesome new life for myself.

5.  The PCT!  I am truly having the time of my life.  I loved my life before the PCT but I feel so fortunate to have this opportunity to hit the reset button.  No firm post trail plans yet, but lots of ideas!

Off to bed now!  Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment