Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Thursday, July 19, 2012

Day 72 - 7/06/12 - Mosquito Hell!

Contents:  Miller Lake - Lower Kerrick Canyon, Bear Valley Trail Junction (19.9 miles)

Today was one of those days where no mile came easily.  It was definitely one of my tougher days on the trail.  I was low on energy and motivation.  Life is better now though.  I'm currently cozied up around a fire with Mellow, Nips, Tourist, and Action Pack who caught up to us late last night.

We crossed two passes today. We did a lot of up and down, and the footing was tedious.  The mosquitoes have also been relentless.  Even when walking, I'd usually have many on me and biting all at once.  Thank God for DEET!

I'm definitely feeling better and am ready to give 'er another shot tomorrow.  Sometimes it feels like we have so far to go.  I felt a little overwhelmed and homesick.  I was walking with Tourist and told him that I needed my Mom to tell me to "snap out of it!" as she does from time to time.  He was kind enough to tell me for her, and it actually helped.  I started thinking about the fact that I'll be back in Seattle in less than three months, and I know I'll be longing for the trail.  This really is an awesome life.  Good friends, no work, heaps of food, what more can I ask for?

1 comment:

  1. Kristy, We are enjoying reading about your adventures. You continue to inspire us. When we don't feel like swimming another lap or taking a longer walk we say, "Think of Kristy!" and we push ourselves a little further.
    Good Luck, Sue and Bob

    ReplyDelete