Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day 53 - 6/17/12 - Up and Over Kearsarge

Contents:  Upper Vidette Meadow - Kearsarge Pass Trail Junction (2.8 miles) + 7.5 miles out Kearsarge Pass Trail to Onion Valley

I had another fun day today.  I was tired this morning and had trouble finding the motivation to hike, an unusual problem for me on town days.  I finally hit the trail a little before 8 chasing after Wash Out who'd left a few minutes earlier hoping to reach some rumored trail magic at a campsite a mile ahead.  I thought the rest of my usual crew might have camped there as well.  When I reached the trail magic, I was a bit disappointed to find that they were packing up to hike out.  In addition, my posse was MIA.  There were still some folks hanging out though, so I made myself comfortable and ate a bowl of granola for breakfast.  Shortly after sitting down, Nips and Wildflower strolled up.  I was really happy to see them.  It turned out they had stayed at a camp just before the camp Wash Out and I had crashed at, and we'd probably just unintentionally passed them the night before.  They said Snausage and Histo were ahead.

After relaxing for a bit, Nips, Wildflower, Wash Out, and I took off hiking bound for the Kearsarge Pass Trail Junction where Wash Out and I planned to cut out to resupply.  The trail out via Kearsarge Pass was about 7.5 miles, but it was beautiful.  Nips and Wildflower were fortunate enough to have a friend who was meeting them to camp for a night and packing in resupply goodies.

Wash Out and I cruised the 7.5 miles out to the campground at the trail head and found more trail magic and rides to town.  I also caught up with Histo and his Mom who had come out from the Bay Area for a visit with Histo.  It felt like it had been a long time since I'd seen Histo, and it was really great to hang out for a bit and spend some time with his Mom.  I also got to see Snausage briefly.  He had already made a quick trip to town and was getting back on the trail.  He's planning to do a side trip in Yosemite (I think!) and is trying to push ahead a little.

Wash Out and I got a ride into Independence where I picked up a resupply box that my Mom had sent to a Chevron station.  We then hitched about 40 miles into Bishop where we're shacked up for the night.  Town chores tomorrow and then back to the trail on Tuesday.

**Check out Kristy's new photo album (see link to photos).  It has pictures from Tehachapi to Lone Pine.**

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! I feel like I've been doing the PCT with you, without the blood sweat and tears. I talked to a thru hiker who'd done the Appalachian and PCT twice and he said his favorite portion is the sierra Nevada section. Good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete