Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Sunday, June 3, 2012

Day 27 - (5/22/12) - Mountain Yellow-Legged Frog Detour

Contents:  Mt. Baden-Powell - Cooper Canyon Trail Campground (20.2 miles + .3 miles down from summit of Mt. Baden-Powell)

I woke up this morning in time to watch an amazing sunrise from the summit of Mt. Baden-Powell.  It was gorgeous.  I took some photos, but they probably won't do it justice.

After the sunrise, I made the quick descent down to the PCT where I ran into Histo, Nips, and Wildflower who were on their way up.  It was good to see them, and I told them I'd wait for them at the next water which was a spring about 6 miles up the trail.  The hiking was pleasant, rolling but tending to stay along ridge top.  I always love ridge walking.  The PCT does an impeccable job of contouring which minimizes elevation change, but sometimes I'd just prefer to be on top of the ridge, even if it means more up and down as was the case this morning.

I didn't have to wait long at the spring before Histo, Nips, Wildflower, and Snausage walked up.  After resting, we hit the trail together.  The terrain was beautiful but tiring.  The elevation changes were much more significant than I'd prepared myself for today.

Beginning at Eagle's Roost Picnic Area at Mile 390.2, the PCT is closed for about 3.6 miles in order to protect the mountain yellow-legged frog.  There were a couple of detour options, but we opted to road walk 2.7 miles along Highway 2 before meeting up with another trail which intersected the PCT after the closure.  The total length of the detour was 4.9 miles.  The highway walking was a bit brutal, but we played a fun word game similar to 20 Questions which made the time fly by.  I would explain the game now, but I'm a bit tired.  I'm sure we'll be playing more of it though!

I'm currently camped with the usual crew as well as Spatula and Mismatch.  We have another big day tomorrow.  There is the possibility of breakfast at a restaurant located 1.8 miles west of the PCT near mile 403.2.  I may hit that with Mismatch and Spatula depending on how I feel in the morning.  Off to bed now!

No comments:

Post a Comment