Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 29 - (5/24/12) - The Poodle Dog Dance

Contents:  Mill Creek Ranger Station - Maddox Canyon (approx. 21 miles)

I'm definitely going to know if I'm allergic to poodle dog bush within the next 48 hours.  We encountered a TON of it today.

Our morning began with a continuation of the road walk we started yesterday.  As I probably already mentioned, part of the PCT is closed because it's been completely overgrown with poodle dog brush.  In fact, we've heard rumors that a hiker we know somehow managed to miss the detour and is now off the trail covered in the rash.  Yuck!  Anyways, we knocked out the road walk fairy quickly.  The scenery was lovely. We past a memorial for the two firefighters killed in the blaze.  I actually remember reading about them back in 2009 when they died.  They were killed in their truck.  Very sad......We also walked past a damaged cell phone tower and many burnt buildings.  The fire department had some training facilities that were destroyed in the blaze.

After about 14 miles of road walking, we finally rejoined the PCT.  It was great to be back on the trail, but there was still a lot of poodle dog brush to contend with.  It seemed sort of impossible to avoid, so I finally gave up and started plowing through it......hopefully I don't pay for my haste!

I'm currently camped in Maddox Canyon with the usual gang and Mellow Yellow who recently caught up with us.  We were expecting to find water here but the creek is dry.  I wasn't really prepared to dry camp, but I'm making do.  There is a KOA Campground with water about 4 miles away and I'm going to hoof it there first thing in the morning.  I just didn't feel like putting in a 25 mile day and walking there tonight.  I just ate dinner and have enough water to make it 'til the morning.

We're about 14 miles outside of Agua Dulce, and we can't wait to be there.  Most of us are planning to stay with the Saufley's, some of the most famous angels on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment