Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Saturday, June 16, 2012

Day 40 - 6/04/12 - Californians and Their Rain!

Content:  Golden Oaks Spring - Robin Bird Spring (18.8 miles)

Today was another tough day as the arch on my right foot was quite sore.  I think I have a touch of plantar fasciitis caused by the heavy load I carried yesterday.  On the bright side, my stomach felt all better and the terrain was fairly gentle.

Most of the day was spent walking along broad ridge tops or contouring.  We were in beautiful forest with oak trees and pines.  We stopped for dinner at Robin Bird Spring and were planning to put in a couple extra miles after eating but a few clouds started rolling in and the rain panic began!  It was pretty comical.  The Californians started scrambling for cameras like they had never seen clouds before!  At any rate, the decision was made to set up camp while it was still dry, so the miles will wait until tomorrow (totally fine with me).

We're currently settled in a flat spot near the spring.  It is breezy and overcast but no rain yet!  As for me, I'm taking my chances and not pitching my tent.  There's a good chance I'll pay for this decision dearly in the middle of the night but I haven't set up my tent a single time since the kick-off and want to see how far I can make it.  I love sleeping under the stars, and if I were to do this trip again, I would definitely leave the tent behind and just carry an ultralight bivy.

No comments:

Post a Comment