Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day 35 - 5/3012 - How Many Miles ?!?!



Contents:  Saw Mill Campground - Hiker Town (19.4 miles)


Today was another great day.  I'm going to try to keep this entry short because we're planning to get up around 2:30 to knock out as many miles as possible before the sun comes up.  We're in the Mojave, and it's hot and dry.

We cruised through Mile 500 bright and early this morning.  There was a small mile marker identifying the spot. Without discussion Nips whipped out his iphone and we filmed a totally awesome impromptu video.  I'll try to post it if I can figure out how......I have it in my email right now.

The morning was beautiful, and I felt super happy.  I am absolutely loving this adventure.  The afternoon was a little tougher.  We descended to the Mojave Desert, and it was toasty.  The trail was brushy and we did a lot of weaving around private property.  It seemed like it took forever to make the smallest amount of progress.

We are stopped for the night at a donation only hostel called Hiker Town on the edge of the Mojave Desert.  Hiker Town is really neat.....It is almost like a small village.  I think it may have been created for a movie set.  There is a school house, post office, etc., all with beds.  I just cooked a camp dinner to reduce my pack weight but bought a salad and ice cream to supplement.  Also had a hot shower.  I was planning to camp outside but it's super windy so I may crash on a futon in the lounge.  Either way, I'm sure I'll sleep well!  I'm excited for a night hike....feel like I'm heading out on a glacier or something!

No comments:

Post a Comment