Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Monday, June 11, 2012

Day 34 (5/29/12) - Dang Yummy!

Contents:  Casa de Luna - Saw Mill Campground (20.8 miles)

Today was a great day!  Two zeros in three days is a wonderful thing!  For the first time, I walked into camp after a 21 mile day feeling like I could pop off another 10+ no problemo.  Such a great feeling for a change!

We left the Andersons around 8:30 after another pancake breakfast.  Breakfast was delicious.  As many of you know, pancakes are my thing.  My companions have been blown away by the number I can put away.  There is a 5 pound pancake eating challenge at a restaurant in Seiad Valley (mile 1662) and everyone thinks I should go for it.  We'll see.  If there's a food challenge I could handle it probably could be pancake eating.  I feel like I've had a lifetime of training!  But 5 pounds?  That's some crazy talk!

Anyways, we hit the trail around 9.  We kicked the day off with a solid climb but then had rolling terrain for most of the day.  The walking was pleasant and not too hot.  Smiles and I ticked off a lot of miles together, and we enjoyed some excellent girl time.  I love Smiles - she is a great friend.  We finally stopped for lunch at a difficult to find guzzler that I finally managed to locate (woman's intuition!) and waited for the rest of our friends.  Water was relatively plentiful today, but the sources tended to be quite murky.  I'm definitely glad to have my new filter.  There are a lot of guzzlers in this section, and they are really gross.  Though it's definitely overkill, I've been known to both filter and bomb with bleach.

We stopped to cook dinner at the last water source before camp.  Dinner was hilarious.  A few hikers came up to the water as we were eating, and we made the spontaneous decision to play the "meow" joke from the movie Super Troopers on them.  Naturally, the boys pulled it off, but Wildflower, Smiles, and I were in hysterics immediately.   I think the hikers who walked up thought we were totally nuts.  This was definitely one of those moments you had to be there for, but I wanted to write about it for myself.  I know the memory will forever bring a huge smile to my face!  It definitely doesn't take much to amuse us out here.

Off to bed now.  Mile 500 awaits tomorrow!

**Check out Kristy's new photo album (See link to photos). It has pictures from Wrightwood to Tehachapi.""

No comments:

Post a Comment