Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day 52 - 6/16/12 - Forester Pass - 13,353 feet




Contents:  Crabtree Meadow Camp - Upper Vidette Meadow (19.8 miles)

Hands down, today was the most gorgeous day on the trail!  I had a fantastic time hiking with Wash Out.  When we left camp this morning, we knew we were only about 30 miles out of our next resupply.  So there was absolutely no reason to push for big miles.  We took it easy and spent plenty of time relaxing at lakes and streams.  The High Sierra is a truly amazing place with craggy granite peaks, wide valleys, and refreshing swimming holes.  My pictures and writing will not do it justice.  The closest place I could compare it to are Washington's Enchantments.

The highlight of our day was definitely hitting Forester Pass at 13,353 feet, the highest point on the PCT.  The trail was blasted through steep granite and it was a beautiful slog up to the pass.  We were fortunate that there was no snow.  It was easy to imagine how difficult the climb would have been last year.  There definitely would have been some exposure and just identifying the pass would have been challenging.  I count my lucky stars every day and am so thankful for the low Sierra snow pack.

Wash Out and I are now camped in Upper Vidette Meadow.  I'd been hoping to catch up with Nips, Wildflower, Snasuage, and Histo who put in a few extra miles after climbing Mt. Whitney but we haven't seen them all day.  I suspect they're camped at some rumored trail magic a mile or two up the trail.  With any luck, I'll see them in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment