Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Saturday, June 16, 2012

Day 39 - (6/03/12) - Embrace the Struggle

Contents: Tehachapi - Golden Oaks Spring (25.1 miles)

25 miles, 6 liters of water, 7 days of food, stomachache, lots of elevation - that just about sums up the day.  The good news is that we got 'er done!  We left the trail head around 6 and knocked out the 8-ish miles to Highway 58.  We were in the Tehachapi Mountains.  The first couple of miles were tough but I settled into a rhythm eventually.  It was super windy and we passed by many windmills.  The windmills were cool, but they don't get me quite as excited as they used to!

After crossing Highway 58, we climbed up into the Piute Mountains.  The terrain was super harsh.  The desert is relentless!  We finally made it to the spring where we are currently camped around 6:30.  It was great to get to camp.  I'm exhausted but feel like my body held up well, all things considered.  I'd expected more foot and joint pain from the heavy load.  I think my slow and steady approach paid off today.

I think we're all trying to get through this section.  We are counting the miles to Kennedy Meadows (120 to go!)  Kennedy Meadows at mile 702 marks the start of the High Sierra, probably the most eagerly anticipated stretch of the PCT.  Getting there will be a huge accomplishment, and it will feel great to put the desert behind us.


No comments:

Post a Comment