Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Monday, June 11, 2012

Day 31 - (5/26/12) - Hiker Heaven

Contents:  0.0 miles

Today was a productive day.  I got up early and headed to town for breakfast with some other peeps who had stayed at the farm last night.  Breakfast was fun.  We've been using this ancient beater van without windows or passenger seats to get around and we all just pile in the back.  It's pretty sweet.  We definitely feel like refugees.

After breakfast, I moved my stuff over to the Saufley's house where I'm staying tonight.  Around 9:30, I caught a ride from a super nice guy named Chris to REI in San Fernando Valley, about 40 minutes away.  Many wonderful people donated their time today to ferry thru hikers to REI.  At REI, I picked up new socks, a replacement photon light (I'd lent mine out to a friend who'd lost her headlamp and didn't have back up and she's now a ways behind), some bars, and new trekking poles.  I'm done with BD poles.  The new pole that they just sent me had "street" tips......not quite what I need on the PCT.  When I'd originally bought the poles, they'd come with two sets of tips - one street and one trail set, and I'd assumed the replacement would come with the same, especially since the guy I talked with knew I was on the PCT.  Not the case.  Anyway, to make a long story short, REI didn't have the tip I needed, and on top of this, I've virtually worn through the original set (it's duct taped), so I decided to cut my loss and start fresh with a new pair of REI brand poles.  I'm a little annoyed about dropping money on the pole I just received but can't use, but I'm mailing it to Anchorage and might follow up with BD about the tip (and the pole with the broken strap) in the fall.  Right now, I just need poles that'll get me up the trail.

It was fun, albeit overwhelming to go on a real outing!  I can't say I miss traffic, but the front-country was a nice change of pace.  We even stopped at an In "N Out Burger on our way back to Agua Dulce.  It was awesome - hard to beat a cheeseburger animal style and a chocolate shake!

Once back at the Saufley's, I grabbed a bike and headed to the grocery.  I bought more food this time around, and it's going to be tasty.  I made a few additions, my favorite of which is sour gummy worms.  Histo had some on the last leg, and I had some serious gummy worm envy.

In addition to the trekking poles, I shipped a few other items back to Anchorage from the Saufley's.  I'm ditching my mug and my underwear. I've never worn underwear in the back country in the past but had decided to try them on the PCT thinking they would help my shorts/pants stay clean longer.  While this is very nice in theory, in order to make this plan work, I need to change my underwear and better yet, rinse them occasionally.  Unfortunately, these activities have not found their way into my daily routine, so the undies are goners!  Clothes-wise, I'm down to a t-shirt, running shorts, two pairs of socks, puffy, rain coat and rain pants, stocking hat, baseball cap, and gloves.  Not bad!

Nips and Histo made dinner in the guest house.  We had chicken, rice, and broccoli.....so nice to have a home cooked meal.  After dinner, I took a shower and then watched Beer Fest with a bunch of people.  Not a bad way to end a busy day.

Tomorrow, most of us are doing a 24 mile hike to some other famous trail angels, the Andersons.  They are known as Casa de Luna.  Casa de Luna is definitely the party house on the trail and I fully expect a rowdy but fun night.  It's recommended (but certainly not required!) that hikers show up wasted, and we're told there is a beer cache 10 miles out.  The plan is to zero at Casa de Luna on Monday (Memorial Day) and then get back with the program on Tuesday.  Have a great night!

P.S.  Today marks one month on the trail!

No comments:

Post a Comment