Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Saturday, June 16, 2012

Day 41 - 6/5/12 - Desert Home Stretch

Contents:  Robin Bird Spring - Camp Just Past Willow Spring Road (approx. 20.8 miles + 3.6 miles round trip for water)

The rain held off last night and we woke up to a beautiful morning.  We had another good but tough day.  I am definitely counting the miles 'til we're out of the desert.  It is relentless!  I think my feet felt better today but they aren't 100% yet.  We did a lot of sand walking which put some additional stress on them.  

The weather was quite cool and windy today.  I'm not sure how reliable my zipper pull thermometer is, but it indicated we were in the 30s this morning and it felt every bit of that with the wind.  I started walking in my puffy and rain pants.  

The good news about the cool temps was that I didn't need much water.  It was definitely scarce today.  I bypassed the second to last cache this afternoon and should have enough water to avoid the last one tomorrow.  The next natural water is just over 20 miles away.  If I manage to pull it off, I will have skipped all the desert caches.  There have definitely been some tough stretches, so I'm excited to be through.  Today I hiked almost 2 miles out of the way to a remote spring.  It was a lonesome walk.  

Other news....Thanks to Histo, we were able to watch Venus transit the sun today.  This won't occur for another 108 years, so it was definitely a one shot deal.  We're currently camped in a small semi-sheltered spot among some rocks.  The sky is beautiful!  I was quite a ways back due to my water excursion, and am so happy to be reunited with the gang. 

Off to bed....have a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment