Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Monday, August 13, 2012

Day 101 - 8/04/12 - Magic at Highway 3

Contents:  Deadfall Lake - Highway 3 (23.9 miles)

Today was a great day.  When I woke up, my magic sensors were sounding loudly!  I had a hunch that there would be trail magic at Highway 3, about 24 miles ahead.  The primary factors I considered in making this prediction were the presence of a major highway, close proximity to surrounding communities, a car campground, and a weekend arrival.  And sometimes you just gotta believe!  Trail magic is a lot like Santa.  While there were a couple of doubters as always, my posse has learned to trust my sensors.  We were all hopeful.

We managed to get out of camp before 7 which is quite a feat these days.  The hiking was super chill and we knocked out the 24 miles by 6:30 or so in spite of taking long breaks practically every hour.  

Fall Risk convinced us all to supplement our lunches with carpenter ants today.  He claimed they would taste like lemon drops.....I'm not convinced this was the case but I was more than happy to reduce the world ant population.

Worth noting....we saw carnivorous plants today.  There are plants that eat animals.....pretty crazy!  Also, in spite of spending most of the day traveling south (always frustrating but probably necessary in order to skirt private property), I picked up my first Oregon radio station today.  We are so close!

The trail magic is awesome.  It is courtesy of Unload who hiked last year and his brother Eric.  Great BBQ, drinks, and breakfast tomorrow.  I have a feeling it's going to be tough to leave.

More walking tomorrow....we're currently about 40 miles out of our Etna resupply.  We should roll in there the day after tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment