Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Day 90 - 7/24/12 - Drakesbad Delivers

Contents:  Soldier Creek - Warner Valley Campground/Drakesbad Guest Ranch (22.5 miles)

Today was a great day.  I was the last one out of camp this morning (very unusual!!) but made good time to Highway 36.  At the highway, I found the rest of my posse getting ready to head into Chester.  Another thru-hiker's father, Sleeping Bare, had just dropped off his son, Nugio, at the trail head and was offering a ride back to town.  Given the easy hitch, everyone had decided to make the trip.  I seriously considered joining as pancakes were sounding awfully tempting but wound up deciding to stick to my plan to head straight to Drakesbad.  I really want to zero tomorrow and knew that heading to town would make it less likely I would reach Drakesbad tonight.

Posse gone, I hit up some fruit left at the trail head and then knocked out the 19-ish miles to Drakesbad without any issues.  It was nice to be on my own for most of the day.  I only saw one other hiker until I got very close to Drakesbad.  The solitude was welcome.  I stopped for water and foot soaks at Stover Spring and the North Fork of the Feather River where I also ate lunch but otherwise kept my breaks to a minimum.  A couple miles out of Drakesbad, I did a short side trip that my guide book had recommended to see a geyser.  I was able to get super close to it which was neat, but I decided it wasn't quite worth the extra effort.  Once you've seen one geyser, I think you've just about seen them all!

I arrived at Drakesbad hungry but feeling good.  I'd done the last 9.5-ish miles plus the side trip on a small mashed potato packet and was totally out of food.  Drakesbad is great!  Double Sprainbow, Mad Dog, Rapunzel, and Mr. Pibbs were all hanging out when I arrived, and Tangent and Holstein showed up during dinner.  There is trail magic at the campground nearby where I am spending the night.  We ate dinner at the ranch, as it has a super fancy restaurant that gives thru-hikers dinner for a significantly reduced price after the other patrons have been served.  It was a little funny, but it is hard to turn down a meal of shrimp scampi lasagna, bread, chocolate mousse, and coffee for $10.  We definitely got the leftovers, but they were heavenly.

Also picked up my resupply box today.....thank you Sharon for the best bars EVER!  They are sooooo yummy!  I shared a couple and everybody loved them.  However, I didn't share nearly as many as I was planning as they were way too good to give up!

Back to the ranch tomorrow for a shower and hot springing.  I expect to see the rest of my gang by early afternoon.  Can't wait for some serious relaxing!

No comments:

Post a Comment