Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day 87 - 7/21/12 - Smiles and Peels Reunited!

Contents:  Campsite Above Buck Creek - Belden (17.3 miles)

Let the laughter begin!  We made it to Belden and caught up with Smiles today.  So happy!  I've missed that girl.  The boys say I've been pink blazing.

Anyways, Mr. Pibbs and I got up early and blew past Tourist, Nugs, and Mellow who were passed out beside the trail on a helipad.  We had a lovely ridge walk before a grueling 5000-ish feet descent into Belden.  It's great to be here.  Belden is a strange place.  It's known for its raves, but there are none this weekend.  However, there is some sort of biker rally going on. Mr. Pibbs and I stopped in at the Belden Town Resort where we ran into Night Watch.  He had already called the Braatens, and they were on their way to pick him up.  They live about a mile out of town, but they're on a busy highway and discourage walking or hitching.  We got a ride in no time.

The Braaten's home, Hiker Haven is wonderful.  They have a separate MIL-type unit which we have totally taken over.  Mrs. Braaten was able to pick up my package so I have my maps for the next section.  We just had a great meal at the Caribou Diner....best chocolate - PB milkshake so far on the trail......I'm currently relaxing on the porch and icing my knee.  It's feeling good, but I'm trying to baby it given all the downhill pounding it had to endure today.

Resupplying tomorrow morning and then I think we have an exposed 5000 feet climb out of here.  Life is good though!

P.S.  I exchanged texts with Wildflowers and Nips today after seeing their names in a register.  They were just ahead but had to get off the trail for a wedding this weekend.  They'll be hiking out of Belden tomorrow evening and trying to catch up.  Can't wait to see those guys too!

No comments:

Post a Comment