Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Monday, August 6, 2012

Day 85 - 7/19/12 - Calling It A 30

Contents:  McRae Ridge - Middle Fork Feather River (29.7 miles)

We woke up around 6 to sprinkles this morning!  I could hardly believe it!  We were so fortunate the rain didn't start sooner, as there definitely wasn't space for us to pitch our tents.  I never would have heard the end of it!

For the record, in over 1200 miles of hiking, I've experienced one day of rain (the first day), one afternoon of thunderstorms, and three days with trace sprinkles.  Pretty unbelievable!  I still haven't pitched my tent since the kick off.  

The hiking today was cruiser.  Tourist and Nugs caught up to Mellow, Mr. Pibbs, and I when we stopped to get water from a spring a short distance off the trail.  We had sprinkles on and off throughout the morning but the afternoon was dry.  We mostly hiked through forest.  This isn't usually my fave, but I've found that the scenery doesn't matter as much when I'm just trying to churn out miles.  Easy grade and good footing excites me way more than grand vistas on these days!

I somehow managed to lose my earphones today but did pick up a Gap sweater that someone dropped along the trail.  I'm guessing that didn't come from a thru-hiker!  I've already planted it in Tourist's backpack.  His birthday is tomorrow and I'm going to tell him it's his gift when he discovers it.

I'm currently soaking my feet in the middle fork of the Feather River.  It's pretty amazing.  All things considered, I feel pretty good for having done 30 miles today.  I definitely didn't bring enough food for this stretch, but Mr. Pibbs packed way too much and has hooked me up with a few things.  We were both feeling it on the way into camp and thought about stopping short for the night, but I'd told Mellow, Tourist, and Nugs that I'd make it and didn't want them to be concerned.  Mr. Pibbs and I wound up stopping for dinner about half way down a long set of switchbacks to the river and both felt better after eating.  I was definitely ready for camp though.

Going to take it a little easier tomorrow.  We're less than 40 miles out of Belden and should roll in on Saturday as planned.

*I can't wait for a milkshake.  I have precisely 950 calories left in my food bag to get me through the night and the 17.5 miles.  I'm definitely going to be rolling in on empty!

No comments:

Post a Comment