Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Monday, August 13, 2012

Day 103 -8/06/12 - Lovely Etna

Contents:  Ridge Camp - Etna (approx. 13.5 miles)

Today was a great day.  I think we got up around 7 but made pretty good time to the highway.  Nugs and I were the last ones out of camp and walked together most of the day.  Once again, the terrain was rocky and hilly.  The rocks are killing my feet....my toes are pretty much numb now.  I think this is normal out here though!

Nugs, Tangent, Holstein, and I got a hitch into town after about 30 minutes or so.  The road was totally dead.  We even took some pictures of me lying on the double yellow line.  Fortunately, one of the very first vehicles to pass, a flat bed truck, picked us up and we all piled in the back for the windy 10 mile ride down to town. 

Etna is awesome.  It has that idyllic small town feel that makes you want to curl up in a hammock with a good book.  We are deep in the State of Jefferson and there definitely is a strong Christian population.  We're staying at a small hostel called Hiker Hut.  I'll probably sleep outside but there are a few bunks in the lounge as well as a trailer.  We hit up a small cafe for sodas and pizza by the slice as soon as we arrived and then moved on to the old-fashioned soda fountain at the drug store.  We got dinner at Bobb's and are now back at the hostel watching the Olympics and hanging out.  The hostel has bikes which are great fun (but not necessary) for getting around town.

Brewery and town chores tomorrow.  We have a huge crew here so it should be fun.  I think I've talked Amigo and Sleeping Bag into sticking around with us by offering to buy each a pitcher of beer.  We may all hike a few miles in the evening but I'm not sure yet.  We'll see how the day unfolds!

Hasta manana!

No comments:

Post a Comment