Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day 97 - 7/31/12 - Goodbye Ichiro!

Contents:  Ash Camp - I-5 Vista Camp (approx. 25.5 miles)

The miles came way easier today!  I soaked my feet and legs from the knees down before leaving camp, and as always, that made a huge difference.  We did a lot of up and down but I felt good.  I knocked out the first 10ish miles of the day without stopping.  It's always nice to get that kind of mileage out of the way early.  I was able to do another leg soak (and swim!) when we stopped for lunch at Squaw Valley Creek.  It was definitely one of the best swimming holes we've found so far and we were there for close to 3 hours.  There is no doubt breaks are the best part of the PCT!

We hit 1,500 miles today.  We have just over 1,100 miles to go.  Time is moving quickly now.  We're just shy of 200 PCT miles south of the Oregon border.  I'm trying to savor every step because I know Oregon and Washington are going to fly by and I'm not ready for this journey to end.  That said, I'm starting to get a clearer picture of how I'd like my life to look after the trail.  There's plenty of time to think about that kind of thing out here, and I'm better able to identify what's important to me after spending some time away from the real world!

I'm camped in sight of I-5 tonight!  I don't think I've ever been so happy to see I-5, one of my hometown freeways.  We have a 5ish mile hike tomorrow morning and then a short hitch north on the 5 to resupply in Shasta.  Looking forward to my first interstate hitch!

I also wanted to mention my winning dinner combination this evening.....tuna-raemin-stuffing!  Only a thru-hiker could appreciate that creation.  It was so, so good though!

I was able to get some phone service and received a text from a friend saying that Ichiro was traded to the Yankees.  I couldn't believe it!  And to the Yankees?!?!  I know he'll be seriously missed in Seattle.  

Hasta manana!  Hope all is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment