Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Saturday, August 18, 2012

Day 109 - 8/12/12 - Ashland

Contents:  Long John's Saddle - Ashland (15.9 miles)

I made it to Ashland this afternoon and all is well.  The hiking was good....rolling terrain with lots of road crossings.   We got our first Oregon trail magic, a cooler full of Shasta colas, right near Grouse Camp.  So nice, and it came complete with lawn chairs and a great view of Mt. Shasta which we can't quite escape.

We arrived at Callahan's Lodge, our exit point for Ashland, a little before 1.  Before heading into town, we got lunch and drinks at Callahan's.  It was a very homey place, and the first beer for thru-hikers was on the house.  Can't beat that!  They also have $7.00 camping on their lawn, which I might take advantage of tomorrow night.

Nips and Wildflower were able to yogi a ride from some lodge guests for the 15 minute trip to Ashland, and Tourist, Nugs, and I got a hitch before we even made it to the I-5 on-ramp.  It was probably my easiest hitch yet and we were dropped off right at the Ashland Hostel.

Since we weren't able to check into the hostel right away, Nugs and I walked into town to check out the gear shop.  I bought a new pair of Darn Tough socks to replace my Smart Wools which get holes way too quickly.  The Darn Toughs have a lifetime guarantee and are super popular on the trail, so I'm excited to try them out.

After leaving the gear shop, Nugs and I split up.  I wandered around town and ultimately wound up treating myself to the most wonderful pedicure ever.  I was in desperate need of a respite from the trail, and a pedicure was just the ticket.  That said, I think the woman at the spa was completely horrified by my feet.  It's quite possible I was her most difficult case ever and to make matters worse, I hadn't showered yet.  Nevertheless, they look and feel amazing now!

Post pedicure, I ran into Mud Flap who had met up with college friends and his girlfriend who lives in Ashland.  I killed some time with them before moseying to the famous Shakespeare Center for a free mariachi music and dancing show at the outdoor theater. It was a relaxing way to kick off the evening.  After the performance, we made our way to the local brew pub where we spent the duration of the night.  Definitely not a bad day!

Town chores tomorrow.  I haven't figured out my plan for getting out of town yet.  My usual crew is speeding up for various reasons.  Nugs has to finish by September 22nd in order to start school so I think he's going to be setting off on his own.  Nips and Wildflower also have to pick up the pace in order to meet Wildflower's mother and sister in Crater Lake on Thursday.  I think Tourist will probably stick with them.  I'm on the fence.  I don't have anything I need to get back to so I'm really not in a rush.  I'd also like to reconnect with Mellow and Smiles who are still behind and will probably arrive in Ashland early tomorrow.  My tenative plan is to zero tomorrow, possibly head back to Callahan's for the night, and then hike out with Mud Flap Tuesday morning.  I'll be without my homeys but I'll probably catch Nips and Wildflower in Crater Lake when they're spending time with fam and I can always wait for Mellow and Smiles.  I think this is a decent option, and Mud Flap and I seem to have pretty compatible hiking schedules.  Also, it's good to shake things up out here from time to time.  However, I'll DEFINITELY miss Nugs and Tourist who I probably won't see again on the trail.

Off to bed!  Have a wonderful night!

No comments:

Post a Comment