Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Monday, September 3, 2012

Day 120 - 8/23/12 - Resort Hopping

Contents:  Trapper Creek - Bobby Lake (approx. 12.1 miles + 2 miles to get back to trail from Shelter Cove Resort)

We woke up early to a chilly morning and quickly cruised the mile and a half to Shelter Cove Resort.  It felt like fall had arrived and our sleeping bags were really wet from dew.  The resort was great and any thoughts of continuing on to Highway 58 where we could hitch to the town of Crescent were quickly eliminated.

We probably stayed at Shelter Cove until after 3.  The store was quite small but I was able to buy enough grub to get to Bend and also mooched a lot of food off friends who had mailed packages.  I also did laundry, washed dishes, and took a pricey 6 minute shower.  Gotta take what you can get out here! I spent the rest of my time relaxing in the sun, drinking hot cocoa from the coffee bar at the store, and snacking.

I hiked out with Amigo, Mud Flap, Shameless, and Lava Goat.  We had a two mile road walk to get back to the trail.  We were actually expecting another fire detour but discovered that the trail had reopened when we arrived at the trail head.  Shortly after leaving the trail head, we saw a black bear.  It was a ways off the trail, but I think it was quite close when Shameless walked up.  I think there were even two bears, but I only saw one.  We're currently camped at a lovely lake located about a quarter mile off the trail.  Amigo built us a fire for the first time in quite awhile and it was great for cooking my dinner of cheesy broccoli soup (another Bear Creek mix).

Mellow and Smiles are a little behind but will hopefully catch up tomorrow.  They left the resort a little after us and were maybe going to meet up with some of Smiles' family friends along the fire detour route that we didn't have to take.

My next stop is Bend, and I'm really looking forward to it.  We should arrive at McKenzie Pass (Highway 242) on Sunday and my good friends Stephanie and Dave who just move from Seattle to Bend in June are going to pick us up.  I can't wait to see those guys (not to mention Lander, the most loveable goldie in the world) and REALLY appreciate their eagerness to take us in.  I don't think I'm going to have any problems with motivation along this stretch!

Off to bed.  Hoping for a warmer night!

No comments:

Post a Comment