Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Thursday, September 27, 2012

Day 147 - 9/19/12 - Flying Solo

Contents:  Camp Near Chikamin Peak - Spade Lake Trail Junction (Approx. 26.9 miles)

Today was another great day though I am beat.  I'm flying solo at the moment, and it feels good.  I left Shameless in camp this morning and didn't see him all day.

It feels like I covered a ton of ground today and there was a lot of up and down.  I rolled into camp after dark and am kind of sharing a campsite with two ladies who were here first.  It isn't a big site and I feel a little bad for crashing their party but I was too tired to proceed any farther.  I haven't chatted with them as they were just heading to bed when I arrived.  I am currently camped near the Spade Lake Trail junction by Waptus Lake.  Waptus Lake is beautiful......Last summer, Joe and I spent 4th of July weekend here.  It was my first significant back packing trip post ACL reconstruction.  We hiked in via the Waptus River Trail which was the flattest and lowest trail we could find.  We wound up doing a side trip on the PCT and I announced to Joe that I wanted to thru-hike someday.  His response was something like, what are you waiting for?!?!  I definitely owe him for giving me the confidence to go for it.

Time for Peels to go to bed too!  If I wake up early, I might try to catch Team Slacker tomorrow.  Rumor has it, they're only about 4.5 miles ahead.

Just a quick update.....it is precisely 1:58 AM, and some sort of rodent has made multiple trips across my head.  In fact, I just saw the offending creature and it is a disgusting mouse with a long tail.  My food bag was parked at my feet and I just took inventory after checking for new holes (present).  Fortunately, the only thing he got to was my tortillas, but I'm going to be on mouse guard for the rest of the night.  He just came back again.  I can't wait for morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment