Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Monday, September 3, 2012

Day 122 - 8/25/12 - The Sisters Deliver

Contents:  Horseshoe Lake - Obsidian Falls

Today was fantastic.  After weeks of treed monotony, we were finally rewarded with gorgeous views of Mt. Bachelor and the Sisters.  It was the perfect day.  We knocked out close to 16 miles before stopping for lunch at a lake.  I walked with Amigo all morning and he gave me a very concise synopsis of all the different religious groups in Israel along with an explanation of Israel's political system.  The views started after lunch as we traversed below the Sisters.  It was one of my happiest afternoons on the trail.  Lots of meadows and some of the most delicious smelling flowers I've ever encountered.  It kind of reminded me of Spray Park near Mt. Rainier.  We walked well into the evening and the light was phenomenal.  We were on the west side of the peaks, so we had lots of soft light followed by a lovely sunset.  I took tons of pictures.  

We're currently camped by Obsidian Falls which shoot straight out of a lava tube.  I'm excited to check out the falls in the morning.  We're actually stopped in one of the few areas along the trail where we should have a special permit for camping.  None of us have one, but we haven't seen any rangers and feel like they would probably cut us some slack.

We're about 12 miles out of McKenzie Pass.  I can't wait to see Stephanie and Dave tomorrow.  My SPOT was acting up tonight so I'm not sure my transmission went through, but we should hit the highway by early afternoon.  I'm counting the minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment