Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Monday, September 17, 2012

Day 138 - 9/10/12 - Chilly Day By Mt. Adams

Contents:  Bench Camp - Midway Creek (24.6 miles)

Today was chilly but it wasn't raining when we woke up.  We definitely got some drizzle during the night though.  The hiking was beautiful.  We did about 10 miles of predominately gradual up and then had mostly flat or down for the rest of the day.  The clouds burned off after just a few miles of walking and we had spectacular views of Adams just to the east.  The PCT passes within 3.8 miles of the summit and it's the second highest mountain in Washington. When I first caught a glimpse of it poking up over the trees, it looked like a Himalayan peak.  

I haven't been listening to much music lately but I picked up my first Seattle radio station today.  So awesome!  Even the traffic report brought a smile to my face.  I'm having major problems with the zipper on my Marmot Essence rain shell.  Yes, there may be an element of user error here, as I am notorious for zipper failure.  Nevertheless, it is extremely frustrating as I need that coat now more than ever!  Flappy gave me an emergency poncho which I'm going to carry and use if necessary, and I'm planning to call my Mom from  White Pass to have her send my Rab Event jacket to Snoqualmie Pass.  It'll probably be a better option for Washington anyways.  Praying for dry weather in the meantime!

We ran into a lot of deer and elk hunters today.  They were all super friendly.  We met a group from Morton at a road crossing just a couple miles before camp and they gave us beer and candy.  Definitely a nice way to end the day.  Camp is good.  Amigo, Action Pack, Flappy, Sunday, and Mellow and Smiles who caught us after lunch are here.  We got a report from a SOBO hiker that Shameless skipped the Trout Lake resupply but is cranking out bigger miles to get to White Pass sooner.  We're all hungry.  My dinner consisted of some dehydrated sweet potatoes that I got out of a hiker box and a candy bar.  The sweet potatoes tasted like baby food.  I'm totally craving pizza.  Goat Rocks tomorrow and White Pass on Wednesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment