Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Day 143 - 9/15/12 - Great Day in the Crystal Back Country

Contents:  Dewey Lake - Urich Camp (26.7 miles)

I just wanted to post a quick TR about conditions in the Crystal back country.  I found outstanding stability on all aspects.  There was a light but persistent breeze out of the south, so watch for possible wind loading during the next few days.  The snow was a bit thin in places......definitely early season conditions.  There were a fair amount of rocks, dirt, and flowers to contend with so I'd still recommend rock skies.  In addition to a Chinook Pass to Crystal Mountain traverse (which I've always wanted to do), I checked out stashes around Cement Basin, Lake Basin, Norse Peak, and Big Crow Basin.  The turns were tricky, but the snow conditions allowed for quick travel and I was able to traverse slopes I wouldn't feel comfortable on without the bomber stability.  Great views of Mt. Rainier.....Only thing missing was dinner at the Snorting Elk but overall, it was a great day for touring in the Crystal back country.  I'll try to post some pics soon.

OK, enough of that!  I started composing a TR to amuse myself as I walked along and figured I might as well write it down.  Anyway, it was a fantastic day.  It was about 3 miles from camp to Chinook Pass.  We walked right along the base of Naches Peak which I have fond memories of skiing with Joe on at least a couple of occasions.  After crossing Highway 410, we headed into the Crystal Mountain back country.  Lots of familiar terrain and much more to come as we head north.  The familiar surroundings are welcome, but they also make it harder to be completely in the moment.  Many of the areas we have passed through since arriving in Washington already have strong memories attached.  It's not a bad thing though, and perhaps it's even a helpful way to end my journey.....sort of a blending of worlds.

I'm currently stopped for the night at the Urich shelter.  We have a fire going, and there are rumors of apple-snickers fondue.  Shameless and Action Pack haven't caught up yet, but we're otherwise a complete group.  More hiking tomorrow.  Less than 300 miles to the border.

No comments:

Post a Comment