Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Thursday, September 13, 2012

Day 127 - 8/30/12 - Hello Hood, Adams, and Helens!

Content:  Shale Lake - Olallie Lake Resort (23.6 miles)

Today was AWESOME!  We had great views of Jefferson and then topped out at a pass after a long climb and got our first views of Mt. Hood, Mt. Adams, and Mt. St. Helens.  It was unreal.  Bobcat had already dropped down the other side and heard me hooting and hollering in what she could only describe as a visual orgasm.  It was definitely pure joy to see those mountains.  I went from unfamiliar territory to feeling like I was in my own backyard in a matter of seconds, and I am so happy to be home.

We encountered quite a bit of snow today.   Oregon and Washington had such huge snow years that I have no doubt we'll see more snow in the next few weeks than we did in the High Sierra in June.  We managed to do some glissading and had to cross a snow bridge over the creek where we ate lunch.  I love it.

I'm currently camped near Olallie Lake Resort with Mud Flap, Shameless, Bobcat, Black Beard, and Destroyer.  The temps dropped below freezing last night and I was miserably cold and wet from dew/frost, so I begrudgingly set up my tent this evening.  I am really hoping for a better night of sleep.

Big plans that I haven't yet revealed in the journal....I am going to try the 55 mile challenge which is a 55 mile, 24 hour push, between Olallie Lake Resort and Timberline Lodge at Mt. Hood.  Yes, I may be crazy but I think I can pull it off.  Mud Flap is on board as well.  Our plan is to spend most of tomorrow resting and then start the challenge around 5 PM.  I'd originally been planning to hit the trail a little later (maybe 8-ish) but pushed the time forward to accommodate Mud Flap.  I also have to buy him pizza and beer at Timberline.....so worth it in order to have a partner in crime!  It's going to be an epic push but I'm excited to give it a shot.

Please, please send me good vibes over the next couple days!  I'm definitely going to need all the help I can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment