Dr. Seuss Quote

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss



Monday, September 17, 2012

Day 137 - 9/09/12 - Bunk Magic

Contents:  Junction Lake - Secret Bench Camp (22.6 miles)

Well, it rained last night.  Action Pack woke us up around midnight, and she, Shameless, and I scrambled to pitch our tents.  Flappy was the only smart one who had set up before going to bed, and Amigo has been camping in a bivy sack ever since Sleeping Bag left.  So much for heat lightening which I had declared we were experiencing before going to bed.....Do we ever get heat lightening in the Northwest?  In spite of the inconvenience it was actually kind of fun.  Our campsite was pretty pathetic and small and we were virtually on top of each other.  Big balagan! (that's Hebrew for mess and one of our favorite expressions out here).  I took a few pictures of the madness this morning.  We've started calling it the refugee camp.

We woke up to fog but no rain.  The walking today was way easier than yesterday.  We were in the trees but it was flat and the cool air kept us moving.  I hiked in my rain coat, rain pants, hat, and gloves for much of the day.  We were all super hungry today and I think everyone ate unscheduled food.  As for me, I downed an extra protein bar and two unscheduled oatmeal packets after dinner.  Speaking of which, I didn't think I'd ever say this but I have fallen in love with oatmeal out here!  It is so warm, filling, and delicious.  I totally crave it!

Shameless hitched to Trout Lake via Highway 23 which we crossed just a couple miles before camp but the rest of us resisted the temptation of town and pushed on.  There is a Buddhist temple in Trout Lake and our guide indicated that they regularly stock a cooler with fresh fruit at the road but we didn't find it.  I have to say it was a bit disappointing.  On the bright side, we'd heard from some day hikers that there was a trail closure due to a fire that started during the storm last night, but the trail was fully open when we arrived. 

I'm currently camped by a small creek with Amigo, Flappy, Action Pack, Sunday (who we ran into this morning....he had slowed down to let us catch up), Super Girl, and Little Bear.  There is a great fire pit and benches too.  We'd been planning to push on a little farther but decided this set up was too nice to pass up.  And it's hard to beat an early night in camp.

Hope all is well.  Hasta manana!

No comments:

Post a Comment